+1

Debunking Myths & Better Understanding Sea-Doos Carbon Ring Seal

The haters. Oh boy, the haters. If the internet has taught us one thing, it’s that people sure love to dump on stuff. For anyone who spends any time online, they’ll find that the trash talk between brand-loyal watercraft enthusiasts is roiling at a fever pitch. Barbs are freely exchanged, but when it comes to Sea-Doo, one jab rears its ugly head more than any other: they sink.And if you were to believe what the digital mob preaches, it happensall the time.

More at WatercraftJournal.Com
    Last edited by Rustymuscle; 03-15-2019 at 10:17 AM.

2. +1 by:

I have an 08 GTX that I just picked up last year. I meant to do the carbon ring this winter and never got around to it. When I read your article just now about "100 to 150 hrs" I broke out into a cold sweat because I'm at 130+ right now, and have a long two day ride this coming weekend. But my hull is super dry, even after long rides. So two questions...1) when it comes to normal wear and not something like a bent shaft, do these rings begin to leak slowly, giving you heads up that a replacement is needed soon? Or will it just sink me with no warning? 2) When does the service manual actually call for the ring to be replaced? I only have the normal owners manual which shows intervals for oil changes, coolant flushes, etc. and I don't think it even mentions the ring.
    Thanks for the article!

+1
    The 100-150hr time frame is a very cautious estimate. There are folks with over 300 hours on a single ring because they ride conservatively they are rigorous about their maintenance.

Yes, there are signs just like the article outlines. Growing amounts of water in the hull; water whipping around inside of the hull; black streaks of carbon splattered on the inside walls; or just a big *poof* of carbon.

If you're not seeing these inside your hull, I wouldn't worry. But I would have a certified mechanic take a look at it the next time you drop it off for service – especially given your hours.

Thread Information