Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Drysuit or wetsuit? Help

So I really would like to ride more this year. In Michigan it gets pretty cold and I only ride about 5 months of the year. Would a drysuit or wetsuit be more practical for cold weather riding? Can someone link what they use? Something affordable please?

+1
    I generally wear a 3mm surf wetsuit with an outer waterproof jacket in winter - wetsuit keeps warm if you get soaked, and the jacket stops the wind chill at speed. As a side note, I'd be pretty interested in what people use for eye protection in choppy weather actually; I've tried skiing goggles and had no luck as water just gets in through the vent holes.

Oh and I don't think a dry suit would be very comfortable or practical, but haven't personally tried so who knows. Hope that helps!

+1
    I bought a Ocean Rodeo Soul few years back and very pleased with that dry suit.
    I also didnít want to limit my riding days to summer only and now Iím riding year round.
    Mostly offshore and in the surf as well.
    Last time out air/ water was around 7 degree Celsius.
    Itís very comfortable on a PWC and keeps you warm especially with a thermal under suit.

I think the most uncomfortable are the thick neoprene gloves Iím using.

I chose the model were you have to use the separate neoprene shoes.
    As I was afraid damaging them on the model were theyíre part of the suit.

Also the pee zipper and half mode of the suit are very handy when you stop some where.

Ok new theíre not cheap but maybe you can find an older model with discount.

As for the goggles I tried many as well. I now have a slightly more expensive frame with thick foam on all holes and a double layer lens.
    Works perfect, no condensation or excessive water inside.

+1
    My wife and I have a two piece suit like this one: https://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/PRO...l#.XIkAPChKiUk and https://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/PRO...l#.XIkAZihKiUk We ride Lake Erie with air and water temps down to 60'. Also have the booties and gloves. The two piece is more comfortable for us and sometimes, just the top will be enough. If you want to go colder, I can see where a dry suit with thermal under would be good or a waterproof jacket over the wet suit to keep off the wind.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by EVN81 View Post
    As for the goggles I tried many as well.

I now have a slightly more expensive frame with thick foam on all holes and a double layer lens.

Works perfect, no condensation or excessive water inside.
    Link to those goggles?

+1
    im searching for some goggles myself .here in miami the waves are pretty bad jesus it looks like i pour bleach in my eyes after a ride

+1
    I use a JetPilot tour coat which is a neoprene zip up jacket that goes over your life vest. It’s great for riding in Massachusetts in the spring and fall when the water is cold. I use booties and gloves all year round too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Link to those goggles?
    Actually I bought them in a local shop while I was on winter holiday in the mountains (snowboarding).

I saw them and thought Iím gonny try these on the water as well.

Iím away from home due work but will see if I can retrieve some details.

I must say I use a helmet as well so the sides are pretty good covered while pounding through the waves.

I tried dirtbike goggles also but they didnít work for me neither.
    The frame I have now is much wider compared to them so also better view around.

That dry suit looks pretty good! I like the two way function. My question is how well does it breathe?? I spent two weeks in a kokatat goretex dry suit riding up to 8 hours in shit seas and loved it. So I've been sold on one of those up until seeing the ocean soul.

+1
    I never made it 2 weeks in my OR Soul.......

Canít really make a comparison as thatís the only drysuit I ever tried on a ski.
    But I never experienced it as very Ďsweatyí inside.
    It also depends on the temperature and the wind and riding style. Continuously pounding in the waves or swell standing or long time flat water and sitting.
    In the beginning I sometimes putted too much layers of clothes under it.
    I bought the thermal undersuit from them as well. Often thatís enough.

And when on the way back from open sea and the water is calm I put it in this half mode but with the jacket closed. So your still protected from the wind but not the latex seal around your neck anymore.

Read a little on kite surf forums, there I got also info before I bought it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information