Kawasaki Ultra 250x Exhaust Rattle & Redlining on Launch

Hi,

I'm still new to the whole Jet Ski life and have been dealing with a few issues in the past year of owning my 2008 Kawasaki Ultra 250x. My ski is 100% stock (for now) and I've noticed a few odd things that she's been doing. At idle when out of the water, my ski rattles a little and I'm not sure why. It doesn't do it in the water (at least I can't hear it) and it doesn't do it when I give it a little bit of throttle.

Here is a link to the sound -

I'm not sure if this is completely normal (as I said, I am new to the whole Jet Ski life) or if something is actually raddling inside of the exhaust. Another problem I'm having (I think there is a fix for this that is sort of obvious) is whenever I gun my ski from a dead stop it seems to be rather slow at accelerating, the tach goes up to about 8400RPM and it sounds like it is rev bouncing. This lasts for about 5 seconds and then it "grabs" and I'm able to reach its top speed with no problem. I'm assuming the stock intake grate isn't able to feed the impeller with enough water but at the same time, it sort of confuses me that a ski designed for racing doesn't have an intake good enough to feed the prop with enough water. I plan to just get an R&D Intake to hopefully solve this problem.

Thanks for reading and hope you guys know what I can possibly do to fix these problems.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Rattling out of water is normal... sounds like your prop/pump tunnel is out of specs...

Just a bit of advice... if it's still running, you may want to get rid if it, search problems with the 250x around the interweb... you'll thank me .

Thanks for the reply. Do you think getting a new prop/pump would fix this problem? We’ve done a lot of work and spent a lot of money on my ski to make it look brand new so I don’t really want to get rid of it.

you really need to service the pump. and service it often. Aquaholic is referring to pump problems wiping out the engine. If you do the 300 pump upgrades it mostly mitigates the issue, but you still have to service the pump and stay on top of it. End play on the crank needs to be checked if the pump has failed.

Is there a way you can link me to the 300 pump upgrades I should look into?

+1
    As stated, the sound is normal. Your lack of acceleration is probably due to damaged impeller blades and/or too much clearance between the impeller and housing. You really MUST pull the jet pump off and rebuild it! You really MUST check for end play on the crankshaft! If the pump bearings fail, it pushes the driveshaft into the engine and destroys the engine. Very common on that model, and a very good reason to sell it.

More info can be found in the Kawasaki forum.

Something I should add is the fact that the previous owner (we bought it used) left a rag of some sort in the engine and when my friend flipped it over once, the rag fell into the driveshaft causing a few problems but most we solved. Do you think one of them is the acceleration?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    No...

Best advice I have is to sell it and move on... they are ticking time bombs... sorry to say... I had big hopes when Kawasaki came out with the 250x in 2007... 3 engines, 2 jet pumps and 1 supercharger later Kawasaki quit fixing it under warranty... they did improve from 2010 up...

9. +1 by:

+1
    Every 250/260x that comes to my shop gets the pump update kit from these guys...http://www.kawiperformance.com/products.html
    I'm literally pulling another one to update tomorrow!

Thread Information