SX-R 1500 for a beginner...?

Short story, I've ridden skis my whole life but have never had a chance to try a stand-up, ever. I remember the general consensus that they aren't really friendly to bigger guys. I'm 6'2" and pushing 300lbs - hoping to drop that weight a little by summer but it's not like I'm going to suddenly be 185lbs anytime soon. So, the size and weight of the new SX-R is probably helpful in that respect. I want to try stand ups and I most frequently ride Lake Mohave in Bullhead, so it being a 4 stroke is good.

Basically, I wanted to ask - how easy is it for someone who has never ridden a standup to get familiar and comfortable riding one?

Any input welcome. This was something I figured would be fun to take out for the times I'm with friends with boats and we have a little camp setup for the day. Something I could romp around in the cove with.

+1
    Some people get on with it right away, others struggle. I could stand up and ride to some degree almost instantly but I was on a superjet and i'm 5ft 7' and 165lbs so I think that helped. It seems that the people that really struggle are people who lack throttle control and balance so if you've ever had motorbikes or other ski's like you have then you'll be fine. I've not ridden the new SXR but people tell me it's quick, it will also be a lot more stable and easier to stand up on than learning on something like a 550. In short, You'll be fine. At worst it will take you a couple of days at the lake, at best 20 minutes.

Stand ups are awesome fun, you wont look back. But try your hardest to ride something like a Superjet, Old SXR, SXI etc, any of the slightly older two strokes are such a laugh. Its not all about power!

DEFINITELY, the best stand up for a guy like you! If you have friends with boats, a sit down is no different so this may be a good alternative. try to find someone near you that you can test ride their ski. It is a LOT less boring than sitting.

+1
    Let me know how you make out. I am in the same boat as you(no pun) and often wonder if I can get up on this thing. One of the local Kawi Dealers on the water by me said I could do a demo ride on one. I plan on doing so this summer because I have a boat now for long trips, and figured a stand up would be an awesome addition vs having my Ultra300x. That'f IF I can even ride one..

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Couple of things - This ski is very responsive. It reacts to the bars and throttle changes quickly. If your twitchy on the bars you'll be all over the place. (this is the problem I have, and I'm top heavy lol) I am 6' 210.
    When you end up in the water, (you will) use the palms of your hands on the back corners of the tray, push down and get your knees in the tray, then put the lanyard in and go.
    This thing pulls harder than a 310, no kidding. So you won't need much throttle at first. Ride standing towards the back/middle area of the tray. It will handle better for you there.
    Be careful when starting when in the water behind the ski. The thrust out of the nozzle is strong.
    I highly recommend this ski and a GTPP warranty. It is a load of fun and a great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by rlovebk View Post
    Couple of things - This ski is very responsive. It reacts to the bars and throttle changes quickly. If your twitchy on the bars you'll be all over the place. (this is the problem I have, and I'm top heavy lol) I am 6' 210.
    When you end up in the water, (you will) use the palms of your hands on the back corners of the tray, push down and get your knees in the tray, then put the lanyard in and go.
    This thing pulls harder than a 310, no kidding. So you won't need much throttle at first. Ride standing towards the back/middle area of the tray. It will handle better for you there.
    Be careful when starting when in the water behind the ski. The thrust out of the nozzle is strong.
    I highly recommend this ski and a GTPP warranty. It is a load of fun and a great experience.
    Yep, that's about right. I think this Ski could really use some type of "boarding step" on the stern. The Ski is very buoyant . . . deep water boarding is a PITA! But if you are willing to go through the learning curve it can be alot of fun. JB

+1
    Sub’ed.

rlovebk, John Belton - keep the tips a-comin’!!!

(rlovebk, MORE bodybuilder chic pics! )

Well, I pulled the trigger on one. ‘18 for 2K under MSRP, so a decent deal I think.

I’m traveling until Sunday so can’t pick it up until I get back. Have to figure out the trailer situation too.

Either way, really looking forward to taking it out. Any tips?

Also, what did you all do for break-in? There’s no tach - just roughly follow the throttle limits? Is there even an hour meter on this thing?

+1
    Congratulations - that IS a helluva deal!

mine is still in storage - haven’t splashed any skis yet, this year ... bunch of huge get togethers, out of town travels and “my wife, my cat, my job, bs,” blah, blah, blah (dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-/

straight from the manual:

Do not exceed the engine speeds or throttle lever operation listed below during the break-in period.

During the first five minutes: Max.2,500rpm (Up to 1/4 throttle)
    During the next hour: Maximum 4,000 rpm (Up to 1/2 throttle)
    During the next 30 minutes: Max. 6,000 rpm (Up to 3/4 throttle)

heres a link to that manual (hope it opens for ya, if not, lemme know!):

https://ownersmanuals2.com/d/72479

Thanks!

Definitely know the too busy feeling. I went for the first ride of the season last weekend the ski ran like crap due to old gas. Had to siphon and refill. Put new plugs in too.

Actually downloaded the manual and read it already. I guess there’s no tach so just gotta roughly follow the max throttle limits. I did buy an hour meter to make it easy for me (although I’ll be surprised if I put more than 25 hours a year).

Thread Information