+1

99 XP electrical issue

Hi all. Ive recently acquired 2 1999 XP limiteds on a two place trailer for cheap. Neither run but with some work, both might.

The right ski-
    All electrics are good. two beeps with the key and the starter solenoid fires when pushing start. But the motor is currently out and waiting for a new starter and bendix, both are seized but engine and pump spin over. VTS works, gauges work, beeper works, and bilge pump works, oil light lights.
    So this one has hope. This far.

The left ski-
    Was told by the previous owner that this ski sank. Not sure to what extent and for how long, but they did get the water out of the motor. No response from the MPEM. The starter will crank the engine if I arc the starter solenoid, but key on post does nothing. I traced power to the plug on the MPEM from the starter solenoid, and checked the grounds. Did a continuity test on the key post and start button. All is good. VTS however does not work, motor is toast. I have the entire module unplugged from the main harness.

I swapped MPEMS from ski to ski. The right MPEM(known working) in the left ski, blows the 5 amp fuse marked MPEM as soon as battery is hooked up. (the left MPEM in the left ski does not blow this fuse)
    The left MPEM in the right ski, will run the bilge pump, and will fire the starter solenoid, but does not move the gauges, light up the oil light, operate VTS, or sound the buzzer.

So the left ski has an issue with something in the harness, and the MPEM seems to be half dead.

Anyone have ideas on what to check?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    eyeball the pins in the mpem and the connector. the xp had an issue with water intrusion into the connector, which would fry one pin preventing the ignition from working most of the time. check for arcing. The mpem has to be pulled to make this examination

if it is intact, pack the connector with dielectric grease and do what you can with the harness boot to make it water tight

+1
    I have the mpem here on my kitchen counter. No corrosion around the pins at all. The loom connectors look good too.

Thread Information