+1

Triton wheel bearing grease

Since I replaced my hub grease seal today I went to pump in fresh grease. For some strange reason (maybe cold, maybe old) I couldn't get it into the hub. Was getting ready to run to lowes and pick up some Lucas Marine grease and then realized it isn't the lithium complex based stuff triton recommends. So a 2 part question.

1) Knowing Triton doesn't make their own very pricey grease what are you using if you are staying with a lithium grease? I ran the walmart stuff on a magic tilt trailer with disc brakes and a 27' baja without issue but for some reason hesitant to use it on the much smaller triton.

2) The Lucas is calcium based. Would that involve complete tear down and cleaning out the old grease or just flushing till none of the old is coming out anymore?

Oh well a 3rd question if you have read this far, what grease are you using?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

+1
    Seems like everybody that sells the lucas marine grease says it's a lithium complex base, everyone but Lucas that is. The picture of the tube on the lucas website clearly says calcium sulfonate on the tube. Everyone else's picture that wording is missing.

It would be lots easier to quit thinking and just go to walmart but is this chart from eastern marine accurate? If so it's saying you can mix the lithium based grease that I think came in the hubs with the calcium Lucas>

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greasechart_1.gif 
Views:	90 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	445562  

+1
    I use whatever is in my grease gun. I have no idea what it is other than slippery and stinky. Never had a problem in 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by toledoupsguy View Post
    It would be lots easier to quit thinking and just go to walmart but is this chart from eastern marine accurate? If so it's saying you can mix the lithium based grease that I think came in the hubs with the calcium Lucas
    ”The Easy Way out Always Leads Right Back In (sooner or later)” I think that chart is accurate, in as much as it mirrors the other grease comparability charts I’ve seen; and, while my trailers are new enough I’ve not had to worry about regreasing them yet, I think you’re wise to ensure you use a grease that is compatible with what’s in there:

Today, with not only the aforementioned thickeners – but also complex soaps, polyurea, calcium sulfonate and even more exotic thickeners used in many greases – the issue of compatibility has become much more complicated.
    https://www.machinerylubrication.com...-compatibility

How difficult isnitntonget ahold of someone AT Triton, during normal work hours? (Reason I ask is half the Tritin owners I come into contact with sayvthey have confidence in their local dealer for answers to technical questions while others express no confidence at all.) It’d be nice to get an answer to your question, straight from the source!

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I have a 2013 model triton double. When I had to add grease I just kept pumping until all of the original triton grease was pumped out and my new grease is all that was in the bearings. I didn’t want mixed grease in the hubs. I have probably put 10-20,000 miles on the trailer since doing this. No problem. Still on original bearings and seals

This is what i got originally from hannahrv. They sell triton oroducts. It came with a triton sticker over it. However different color from original. Been using since

Chevron 277111652 Starplex Grease Ep2

i got a case from amazon

Thread Information