Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    You say ran for 10 min, was this in the water? Salt water?

That knocking noise when it cranks is not good sounding. You say it squirting fuel out the spark plug holes when you crank it? Are you sure it fuel and not water.
    Improperly towed? when was it towed? Was this after the 10 min ride ? Why was it towed?

Why is there a yellow rope on the engine?

Can you be more specific on what happened?

Personally Im thinking hydro locked and the timing chain is snapped.

Thanks
    Bit of a long story but I pretty much got given it from a mate, he had it sitting in storage for around 6 years, I've had it for around 6 months. I had full intentions of giving it a once over (dropping fuel, replacing filters etc) before use, just haven't had time to get to it - hence the reason it sat unused in my shed for 6months.

What happened is, I recently made a random life choice and have pretty much thrown everything I have into buying a oyster farm (it's in worse shape then the ski) Included in the purchase was a few boats that like everything else are run down and totally unreliable...

So I was about a kilometer from land and the motor on my punt died, should mention it has a slight leak also. So my options were either send a flare up (that I didn't have) and get the coast guard to come out and end up being that guy on the news bucketing water out if a half sunk boat or get a mate to throw the ski in and come get me - I took option 2. So the ski towed the boat back. This was it's only use its had in 6 years - mite have been abit longer then 10min, maybe more like 20min. It towed the boat back fine however ran a little rough. I just figured it needed a decent run to blow out the cob webs.

As for why I say it could be due to it being towed.. well as it was on dark I just towed the boat to one of my closer farms, parked it in the mangroves, took the motor off and left it there to sink with the tide. The next day I went and refloated the boat and my mate put the ski in to tow it back to the boat ramp. The ski wouldn't start. He ended up running the battery dead so he then he walked/swam/towed the ski over to where I was as I had a battery we could swap in - swapped batteries and still would not start.
    I may aswel finish the story as it's probably a good read...
    So yer I had both a ski and a boat that didn't work in the water and a fair distance to a boat ramp - was a bit of a Hassel but no big deal I just figured I'd put my other boat in to tow them around to the boat ramp. As we had to walk that was anyway we ended up dragging both the ski and boat around to the beach closer to my land base and then returned with and beach launched the rescue boat. I mite ad that it's fine to launch on the beach but near impossible to get back out with anything more then a empty trailer with out getting bogged... So as expected once the rescue boat launched and in the water, it turns out that my mate had lost the key to it and forgot to tell me - even whilst he help put it in... Took a few snapped ropes, one seized winch and a hell of a lot of digging to winch all 3 of them off the beach. Once home this is when I checked the oil and noticed the water in it.

Long story short the ski was towed however it was only at a walking pace for around 500m - not sure if that's enough to do damage, was only aware that they can not be towed after the fact.

- was in salt water
    - I didn't even put thought to it spraying water instead of fuel. In saying that I tried what someone mentioned and put a teaspoon of fuel in the spark plugs and it did nothing
    - The yellow rope it attached to my torch that is sitting on the motor.

+1
    You write too much Do a compression test, it will tell you a lot, and go from there. You're just guessing at this point.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Holding out for a compression answer. My guess is the water crusted up the valves. What we are hearing is at least 2 pistons smacking the frozen valves and probably also have broken rocker arms now.

Compression test first. If bad then pull head cover to take a peek.

5. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Holding out for a compression answer. My guess is the water crusted up the valves. What we are hearing is at least 2 pistons smacking the frozen valves and probably also have broken rocker arms now.

Compression test first. If bad then pull head cover to take a peek.
    Aim to do today - cheers for the interest/help

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spixm View Post
    Cheers for all the responses.

I'm certain it was not like this (water in oil) when it was left sit. It's happened in the last month or so.

To be honest I didn't drop the fuel but did fill it up with new. I is getting fuel - with the spark plug out if I hold the throttle and crank it squirts fuel - not sure if it's squirting enough but definitely is something coming out. Has spark and I've replaced the plugs anyway.

I pulled of the hose to the super charger today and was a far amount of water that came out. I put my hand over it and gave it a quick crank and is still sucking air.

It cranks but won't fire

I uploaded a video here
    So just fyi but when you hold the throttle wide open and crank the motor the ecu recognizes this as drowned mode, and no fuel will come out of the injectors. This means that if you are seeing some sort of liquid shoot out of the spark plug holes when you are cranking the motor with the throttle held down, it is not fuel and is most likely water.

+1
    Also forgot to mention, if it had water spill out of the supercharger then the whole intake is full too!
    You'll need to pull the intake and dump the water out. Every time you crank it just keeps sucking in more water. It has a tendency to "pool" in the bottom of the intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Also forgot to mention, if it had water spill out of the supercharger then the whole intake is full too!
    You'll need to pull the intake and dump the water out. Every time you crank it just keeps sucking in more water. It has a tendency to "pool" in the bottom of the intake.
    Compression is
    1- 30
    2- 50
    3- 50

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spixm View Post
    Compression is
    1- 30
    2- 50
    3- 50

now you will pull the valve cover and see if the camshaft is turning

if it is, then make ready to remove the engine, or sell the ski

Random question - why aren't there any faults showing when I connect the ski to buds?

+1
    The computer can not read mechanical faults, only electrical. Go ahead and pull that valve cover.

13. +1 by:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information