Trim Tab Brackets Inquiry

I noticed my trim tab brackets are weak (saltwater pitted) and lose and some of the threads are cross threaded. I just removed the old glue on brackets off because 3 bracket holes were open and not sealing which would have been a leaking point in the hull.

Thinking I should just plug the holes shut if it will increase my speed and reliability. I don't want to have to be chasing water leaks into the hull in the future.

What are you thoughts? This is just a basic 2 stroke ski I have been restoring and I don't have time or money to throw on it by purchasing new trim tab brackets.

+1
    Seriously, are you restoring this ski ? And don’t want to spend any money on it ? Hardly a restoration. You could make some tabs cheap out of alloy plate , won’t cost much . Trim tabs are a must in my opinion for tuning the handling of the hull .

+1
    Believe it or not....removing the trim tabs gives a little bump in top end speed. It depends on how well you want the craft to handle. That trick was passed on to me by the late Barry Lee.

+1
    But it handles like shit ! Not worth the .5 mph

So I got some marine tex and glued the trim tab brackets back on and I removed all of the factory glue for all brackets at this point and replaced with marine tex. Fingers crossed I won't have leaks and if I do it will hopefully be more easy to pin point. I bolted the trim tabs so it would seal the newly glued trim tab brackets flush with inner hull.

Once its up and running I will make a decision based on my own riding style and anecdotal information. At this point I just want to get it running to at minimum factory standard before I totally lose interest in this project. I still have like ~40 percent left to reassemble.

Thread Information