Dealer acting weird - when do I sign

First time buying a new ski. I worked out a deal over the phone with the dealer. Great price, and I had him text me all the details so I knew Iím getting exactly what was discussed. I put down $1000 over the phone.

That was almost 2 months ago. Heís telling me itís not time to sign the paperwork yet because the unit isnít produced (no VIN).

Is is that normal?

i do live in the Midwest, so there is no rush, but I also want to make sure Iím not getting scammed in some way.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    did you get a contract?
    did you put the payment on a credit card?
    I assume it's a brand dealer?
    if so name him

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ytechie View Post
    First time buying a new ski. I worked out a deal over the phone with the dealer. Great price, and I had him text me all the details so I knew I’m getting exactly what was discussed. I put down $1000 over the phone.

That was almost 2 months ago. He’s telling me it’s not time to sign the paperwork yet because the unit isn’t produced (no VIN).

Is is that normal?

i do live in the Midwest, so there is no rush, but I also want to make sure I’m not getting scammed in some way.

Usually you can not write a contract until you have a vin number. Is the dealer far from you? If not take a ride there? I left a $500 deposit on my mine then did the paperwork when the ski was in their possession.

Down payment was on a credit card. No contract yet.

Sounds good - I guess it is normal. More like buying a car than a toaster.

+1
    I dunno....you only have 60 days to dispute a credit card payment. I'd pressure them to get something in writing.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xspook View Post
    I dunno....you only have 60 days to dispute a credit card payment. I'd pressure them to get something in writing.

that depends if they simply "authorized it" or actually charged it.

check with your credit card company. They are typically helpful.

if it goes over 60 they may need to reauthorize the deposit.

and I forgot...

welcome aboard!

Very normal. I work for Toyota and as of now have three deposits on cars waiting to be built. No vins as of now. It is not a contract just a deposit that anyone in any state can get back so do not be fooled by a dealer saying no deposit back. Once it is built at factory it will go into dealer allocation that they requested for you and after shipping it is yours. If they play games on numbers simply say I want my deposit back and stay firm and you will get it back.
    And DO NOT SIGN until ski is there and you inspect it.
    Last edited by Jetskibob; 03-07-2019 at 01:04 PM.

+1
    This is pretty normal. If your nervous ask for an MOU or a buyers and sellers agreement. Neither are a contract but it establishes intent.

I put a deposit and signed some paperwork about 3 weeks ago, with no VIN yet. Then on Atlanyic City boat show weekend, as requested, I went back and finished the paperwork and financing forms. Payment starts this month and he is holding the ski for me until spring and will prep it when the weather warms up and deliver.

+1
    I've bought three skis from my local dealer over the past 7 years from in stock skis. This last September, I wanted him to order me a 2019 FXHO and asked the price. He gave me a price a few days later which I couldn't pass up. I gave him a $500 deposit and he wrote a purchase agreement locking in the selling price, tax, registration, and their document fee along with showing my deposit. The ski isn't here yet so no VIN to use. Just year, make, and model. After it arrives and when I pick it up, the contract will be written. So I don't think you have any problem with yours.

Thread Information