Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    +1
    Some very recent real world to throw in the mix. My 20 FX SVHO just taught me two lessons.

1) Don't tap the map sensor!! As Superair mentioned previously, that sensor is for fuel management. After finding fuel in my oil and making a real mess of everything along the way, I can say you save ZERO time or money by not tapping the manifold. I'll think twice about doing anything like this in the future to my machine where oem sensors are part of the equation.

2) Delete the ribbon PRONTO if doing mods! I was surprised when I went to mod my new 20 FX that none of the "stage" or pre pack kits mentioned a ribbon delete. It gave me the impression they must have gone another way and it wasn't needed. Wrong! Thanfully, before it was too late, the ribbon is a goner. It had already moved toward the motor by a few mm's. Sketchy.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by YamahaSHO View Post
    ... 2020 FX SVHO ...

2) Delete the ribbon ... It had already moved toward the motor by a few mm's. ...
    If you had not removed it, you feel the ribbon flame arrestor disc would have continued to move farther out of position in the plastic intake manifold, correct?

+1
    Absolutely!

The rubber gasket is the scary part if you ask me. It would seem the actual ribbon might bounce around and ball up, but less likely to get sucked into the motor than that rubber gasket.

Just glad to have both out of the equation.
    Last edited by K447; 01-05-2021 at 07:31 PM.

+1
    Just wanted to add a bit to this post.

So, a buddy and I installed the Fizzle Y1000 and a Turbo smart BOV on my 20 FX Svho. We tapped the map sensor as this is what he did when he installed his Worx Tial BOV only, OEM intercooler into his 15 FX SVHO. Like me, he still had not done his ribbon delete. He said the Worx instructions suggested tapping the map sensor. After learning the hard way on my setup that tapping the map sensor is a Terrible idea and the ribbon delete is a MUST. I was quick to pass along to my buddy. We were both stuck at 76 mph. After my buddy removed his ribbon, went back to OEM map sensor setup and tapped the manifold, he immediately went to 80, nothing else changed on his current setup. My issues are gone as well and my speeds have greatly increased. I've since changed cams and many other mods so hard to say how much I gained from just correcting the Map sensor setup and removing the ribbon. One thing is for sure, avoid the map sensor and always delete the ribbon on modded skis if you want to get what you're paying for anyway. Obviously ribbon delete not critical if you've never flashed the ECU. Once you're doing the higher RPM's though, delete that ribbon. Especially on the newer 2018+ stuff. Hope it helps someone avoid the nightmares I had with fuel in my oil. Yuck

5. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnInFL View Post
    Absolutely!

The rubber gasket is the scary part if you ask me. It would seem the actual ribbon might bounce around and ball up, but less likely to get sucked into the motor than that rubber gasket.

Just glad to have both out of the equation.
    Update: Apparently the ribbon disc can become dislodged and even work loose and be drawn into the engine intake valves, even on a stock engine with the plastic intake manifold.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3147778

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnInFL View Post
    Just wanted to add a bit to this post.

So, a buddy and I installed the Fizzle Y1000 and a Turbo smart BOV on my 20 FX Svho. We tapped the map sensor as this is what he did when he installed his Worx Tial BOV only, OEM intercooler into his 15 FX SVHO. Like me, he still had not done his ribbon delete. He said the Worx instructions suggested tapping the map sensor. After learning the hard way on my setup that tapping the map sensor is a Terrible idea and the ribbon delete is a MUST. I was quick to pass along to my buddy. We were both stuck at 76 mph. After my buddy removed his ribbon, went back to OEM map sensor setup and tapped the manifold, he immediately went to 80, nothing else changed on his current setup. My issues are gone as well and my speeds have greatly increased. I've since changed cams and many other mods so hard to say how much I gained from just correcting the Map sensor setup and removing the ribbon. One thing is for sure, avoid the map sensor and always delete the ribbon on modded skis if you want to get what you're paying for anyway. Obviously ribbon delete not critical if you've never flashed the ECU. Once you're doing the higher RPM's though, delete that ribbon. Especially on the newer 2018+ stuff. Hope it helps someone avoid the nightmares I had with fuel in my oil. Yuck

Good Morning,

I recognize strong recommendations for "not tapping" the map sensor.
    Would this team (experienced individuals posted previously) recommend the "WORX Yamaha Intake Manifold Adaptor"?-

+1
    Personally, I'd say skip the Worx and do it right. Tap the manifold itself. That's just me though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadknotz View Post
    Good Morning,

I recognize strong recommendations for "not tapping" the map sensor.
    Would this team (experienced individuals posted previously) recommend the "WORX Yamaha Intake Manifold Adaptor"?-

Here is a previous thread on this subject, u can see the potential problem areas, but overall I’d think there’s no difference between this and tapping the manifold directly.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=294405

+1
    I dont understand why riva tells you to tap the back side of the manifold. Then you have to run a vacuum hose all the way around the motor. I have 2 taps in the front of my manifold, one for BOV, the other for boost gauge and boost switch to the methanol injection.

+1
    I agree with I don't know why most tap the back of the manifold. wish mine was tapped in the front. but either way tapping it works best.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information