2011 VX110 Charging Issues - Please Help!

Im working on a 2011 VX110 that had a charging issue. The voltmeter in the dash would jump all over 12.9 volts to 11.0 volts, it was obvious the battery wasn't charging. I put in a new rectifier, same problem. Installed a used stator, same problem. I changed the wire harness with 3 known good harnesses and same problem. I checked all connections, good ground, good positive connection.

I have tested the voltage coming out of the stator, both vertical pins read about 18.1 the top horizontal pin reads nothing and I assumed this was a ground. The battery is a year old, if I charge it on a trickle charger the ski will run until the battery dies and I can recharge and ride again.... Im kind of ruling out the battery. the ONLY 3 things I have left that could be wild card issues are...

1. Bad Used Stator

2. Bad Battery

3. Bad flywheel?

Im not sure if Ive ever seen a bad flywheel... Any suggestions or pointing me in the right direction is appreciated.

Last issue is the ON/OFF or key switch seems to be going bad. The ski will not alway shut off when hitting the red button, could this be part of my problem and Im just overlooking it?

Thank You In Advanced...
    Steve
    Last edited by K447; 03-01-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Think you are in the right thinking. First thing to do is get a meter on the battery when itís running. Verify what itís doing. My thoughts would be the rectifier first off, stator and battery. Iíd maybe be tempted to try another battery. They arenít up to much those wee batteries and easily broken with strange symptoms making you think itís not to blame.
    The rectifier is a know delicate thing on any ski, as you know. Even a new one can be damaged by just one incident. Most well known reason for this to blow is if the ski is jump started form a running car or truck. Itís just too much for the wee system on a ski.

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by QBhoy View Post
    Think you are in the right thinking. First thing to do is get a meter on the battery when it’s running. Verify what it’s doing. My thoughts would be the rectifier first off, stator and battery. I’d maybe be tempted to try another battery. They aren’t up to much those wee batteries and easily broken with strange symptoms making you think it’s not to blame.
    The rectifier is a know delicate thing on any ski, as you know. Even a new one can be damaged by just one incident. Most well known reason for this to blow is if the ski is jump started form a running car or truck. It’s just too much for the wee system on a ski.
    I have 2 identical skis side by side, one of the skis runs perfectly, I also have at least 1/2 a dozen known to be good rectifiers. Anything I try, I try it on the known ski to to be good. The ONLY I havent tried is swapping the battery, the known good ski has a brand new battery and the ski in questions battery is over a year old... Ive read the plates can go bad inside the battery so why not give it a shot? I have nothing else to try or lose and a battery swap might take 10 mins...

wish me luck, I need it!

Hahhaha

Good luck. Wouldnít be surprised at all if it was the battery. Had the same with an old GP. If I charged the battery it would start the ski. Run for a while on the water and show it was charging from the ski. Then would randomly fail and not start again. Was the battery had pretty much disintegrated inside.

Voltage regulator must be bad, my 08 vx started jumping all over from 14volts to 16.5 then one day is just went to 12.2, once I replaced the voltage regulator it fixed the issue, took 10 mins to replace

Thread Information