Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kawasaki 09 ultra300x dependability

HI FORUM, im here today hoping to gets honest opinions on Kawasaki watercraft, im so tired of the issues with seadoo gtx DI's, their only consistency is that you never know if they will run when you take them out to ride them,,,bought two 01's have spent a ton of money trying to make them dependable, trouble is they are worked on more than they are ever riden, so im converting to 4 strokes and getting rid of the two strokes,

i really like the looks of the kawasaki ultras,300 x and the horsepower rating is enticing also, im looking at a low hours 2011 ultra 300x, but im affraid of buying more skis that require being worked on all the time, any ways i appreciate all opinions and hope to get lots of input

+1
    For reliability, I'd recommend the non-supercharged Kawasakis: STX-15F and Ultra LX. The supercharged models do require more maintenance. The Ultra LX has the same hull and seat as the Ultra 300, but it's significantly slower.

If you buy a used 'Ski, especially one that old, it's anybody's guess what kind of shape it's really in.

thanks for your input

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    The supercharged ski 300/310 takes basically no more care than a N/A ski...... takes me the same amount of time and effort to maintain either my 15f's or 310x over many years....

+1
    I don't doubt you, sirbreaksalot, and you certainly have more 4-stroke experience than I do. However, since I've been reading the 4-stroke forum, I've seen people with supercharger belt problems, idler pulley problems, blow off valve problems, intercooler leaks, etc. Parts that the NA machines don't even have.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    I don't disagree that when the supercharged ski if poorly maintained there is potential for more expensive components to replace......
    My comment is more on the fact that my 15f and 310x 's over the space of 100hrs have the same service costs..... and have the same reliability factor .
    Will everybody get the same results...... no ,
    can everybody get the same results …… YEP !!! yes it is very early possible...

I've purchased 15fs that also need , cluster, IAC , exhaust rings or need a waterbox replacement , and other components that should not be a commonly replaced item...…

the key is : the correct maintenance plan is the key on all skies to make them reliable...
    Last edited by sirbreaksalot; 03-04-2019 at 05:32 PM.

7. +1 by:

the key is correct maintenance plan is the key on all skies to make them reliable... !

There is no substitute for this. No mechanical product will survive without a reasonable maintenance plan. JB

thanks everyone for your inputs, and information, much appreciated thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    The supercharged ski 300/310 takes basically no more care than a N/A ski...... takes me the same amount of time and effort to maintain either my 15f's or 310x over many years....
    I would strongly disagree with that comment. Owning both SC/NA Kawi's the NA skis have a lot less issues and are way cheaper to run and maintain.The NA you can run 87 octane and you don't have to worry about piston issues. You don't have to change SC belts or exhaust filters. Don't have to flush the intercooler or fog the super charger. Hoses don't blow and intercoolers don't crack. This is my experience putting over 1500 hours on my skis in the last 10 years. I wouldn't even buy a warranty on a NA Ultra, they pretty much bullet proof out of the box. Can't say that for a 300/310! I would never recommend owning a SC Kawi without a warranty!!!! I have maintain my skis to the book and the SC skis are just not as reliable.

Double Tap, the basic post ride care between the 15F and the 300/310 really is essentially the same. Except for a 3 second squirt of fogging oil every other third ride I have treated both my 15Fs and Ultras the same over the years.

As far as "scheduled" maintenance, yes there are a few items that need replacing on 300/310 eventually. But seeing that I can get 100 hrs on an Exhaust Filter and 150 hrs on a Belt . . . I don't see this as unreasonable maintenance.

As far as the blown hoses, cracked Intercoolers, etc, none of the 6 Ultras I have owned over the years (including the 3 I own currently) have ever had these types of issues. But after every ride I do give the inside of the Hull area a very thorough looking over . . . so maybe I have headed off a few issues due to my diligence.

That's just been my experience. JB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information