Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Water Cooled Supercharger Housing Who Wants One??

So after the demise of R&D . I'm looking for a water cooled sc housing. Tried to find out from r&d who had the patterns , and who did the casting for them , I guess it was like a national nuclear secret, Glen wouldn't talk with me about it. Which if he already sold the patterns and info thats cool Ill wait for the next manuf to start up . But if not I hate to see all that hard work and potential scraped. I'm lookin to have a new design done , and testing the waters to see if there is enough interest to
    offset the costs with a commercial venture . I have multiple contacts in the alum casting industry , and this is a very doable
    part . Let me know your thoughts on this .
    Last edited by dunnitagain; 02-28-2019 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Wrong name

+1
    Yes there would be interest I’m sure

+1
    Man I just started reading the forums again and you saying r&d gone was the first I heard about it. That sucks. Better hang on to my parts then lol.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dunnitagain View Post
    So after the demise of R&D . I'm looking for a water cooled sc housing. Tried to find out from r&d who had the patterns , and who did the casting for them , I guess it was like a national nuclear secret, Paul wouldn't talk with me about it. Which if he already sold the patterns and info thats cool Ill wait for the next manuf to start up . But if not I hate to see all that hard work and potential scraped. I'm lookin to have a new design done , and testing the waters to see if there is enough interest to
    offset the costs with a commercial venture . I have multiple contacts in the alum casting industry , and this is a very doable
    part . Let me know your thoughts on this .
    Save your money for an IRA, take a non contact laser temp reading. With a good cooling setup you might get 180 degrees surface temperature, the discharge temperature of the air out of the compressor maybe higher but that's caused by heat of compression. That could be remove much more inexpensively by other ways then buying a water cooled supercharger housing and produce twice the amount of cooling as well as more power.

Methanol injection or water injection if you want to remove heat of compression.

Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Save your money for an IRA, take a non contact laser temp reading. With a good cooling setup you might get 180 degrees surface temperature, the discharge temperature of the air out of the compressor maybe higher but that's caused by heat of compression. That could be remove much more inexpensively by other ways then buying a water cooled supercharger housing and produce twice the amount of cooling as well as more power.

Methanol injection or water injection if you want to remove heat of compression.
    I'm aware of all that , but a water meth system isnt the best idea on a rec ski . IF the intercooler isnt properly dried out then you have a source of
    moisture , and corrosion for the intake track .While water meth is a excellent way of removing adiabatic heat its not real practical in this app. Its a pain in the azz to source meth , install a tank and pump with limited space etc,etc.
    Ive put temp strips on the compressor housing and the temp after extend ride or multiple short sprints
    is over 200* . Those non contact lasers arent the most accurate when measuring a shiny surface. My main goal is dropping the engine bay temp
    by eliminating another source of radiant heat. I would think that the delta T between the cooling water and compressed air would be greatest
    at this point and therefore more efficient . There by leaving the intercooler less work and possibly a lower IAT by a significant amount .
    Resulting in a more consistent temp and safer better running engine.

+1
    From Dunnitagain
    I'm aware of all that , but a water meth system isnt the best idea on a rec ski . IF the intercooler isnt properly dried out then you have a source of
    moisture , and corrosion for the intake track .While water meth is a excellent way of removing adiabatic heat its not real practical in this app. Its a pain in the azz to source meth , install a tank and pump with limited space etc,etc.
    Ive put temp strips on the compressor housing and the temp after extend ride or multiple short sprints
    is over 200* . Those non contact lasers arent the most accurate when measuring a shiny surface. My main goal is dropping the engine bay temp
    by eliminating another source of radiant heat. I would think that the delta T between the cooling water and compressed air would be greatest
    at this point and therefore more efficient . There by leaving the intercooler less work and possibly a lower IAT by a significant amount .
    Resulting in a more consistent temp and safer better running engine.

From CJK6119

What type of heat are you then trying to move Latent heat, Conductive heat or sensible heat, radiant heat? At first it sounded like sensible heat, yes? That is the change of volume and pressure
    Pressure is inversely proportional to the volume. Know as Boyles law. That has nothing to do with the standing ambient of an engine compartment. Most of the heat in an engine compartment is known as radiant heat build up and has nothing to do with air. That is why it is warmer in front of a window on a cold winter day while the house is at 68 degrees outside temp is 44 degrees, but it seems warmer in front of the window like 75 degrees. Why is it warmer ...this the physics behind it?
    As far as this super charger housing, it not going to provide the sub-cooling that a Fizzle does so well. This why people put these on their ski as apposed to this water cooled housing that you pose and running it in series to cool an engine compartment is going to be a waste of money I would think.

Ps If you use deionized water only in the injection system there will be very very little corrosion. It would not be any worse then the salty air the engine ingests while riding in the ocean.

Take care
    CJ
    Last edited by cjk6119; 02-28-2019 at 06:06 PM.

You must be an HVAC guy. Anything that gives off heat , radiates heat yes? Ok , I already have Intercoolers ( technically aftercoolers ) installed . Fizzle , Riva same same. Anytime you can reduce heat in an engine space it a bonus.

Meth is used soley to increase octane, if you wanted maximum cooling then deionized water is best. It’s also well documented that for every 10 degrees you cool your charge you will see 1% increase in power.

If you are only concerned about reducing inside temps, run the filter in front of front bulkhead to grab cooler air.

I personally wish wish somebody would tune and design a kit for E85, now your talking about cooler intake charges and many other benifits. ie. cheaper than 93 octane, hard to detonate and more power without the need to worry about shitty fuel and things going south. Crappy E85 might be E75 and in that case your going to be pig rich versus detonation between 93 octane and let’s say crappy 93 that is really 90 or does.

Quote Originally Posted by dunnitagain View Post
    . Anytime you can reduce heat in an engine space it a bonus.
    Very true but the heated charger is by product of the compressed air, the super charger is what gets heat soaked on a long run. It’s the intercooler

Quote Originally Posted by TurboX View Post
    Meth is used soley to increase octane, if you wanted maximum cooling then deionized water is best. Itís also well documented that for every 10 degrees you cool your charge you will see 1% increase in power.

If you are only concerned about reducing inside temps, run the filter in front of front bulkhead to grab cooler air.

I personally wish wish somebody would tune and design a kit for E85, now your talking about cooler intake charges and many other benifits. ie. cheaper than 93 octane, hard to detonate and more power without the need to worry about shitty fuel and things going south. Crappy E85 might be E75 and in that case your going to be pig rich versus detonation between 93 octane and letís say crappy 93 that is really 90 or does.
    just fill ur hull with dry ice...I think jessus has a tune for e85

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information