Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

VXR Overheating, Alarm, Limp Mode

2013 VXR.

Getting high temp warning and limp mode after about 10 minutes of riding, every time. All lines are clear. I will replace a few common parts before I dig too deep in it.

At first I thought it was the thermostat. Removed it and ran for 30 minutes, no issues. Put a new one on and it started "overheating" again, though I see no indications that its running hot.

Now I will replace the sensors referenced in this old post that I dug up.

temp-switch, on the engine block
    temp-switch, on the exhaust system

While #2 & #3 switches have different temp set-points, BOTH are on the same circuit (aka grounded when activated), so the ECU cannot distinguish which one is toggled unfortunately. This circuit does cause alarms & limp-modes, so that narrows your efforts to either the exhaust or engine block switches.

Would these sensors be #20 and #33 in the diagram linked below?

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oem...0/electrical-2

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsmith View Post
    2013 VXR.

Getting high temp warning and limp mode after about 10 minutes of riding, every time. All lines are clear. I will replace a few common parts before I dig too deep in it.

At first I thought it was the thermostat. Removed it and ran for 30 minutes, no issues. Put a new one on and it started "overheating" again, though I see no indications that its running hot.

Now I will replace the sensors referenced in this old post that I dug up.

temp-switch, on the engine block
    temp-switch, on the exhaust system

While #2 & #3 switches have different temp set-points, BOTH are on the same circuit (aka grounded when activated), so the ECU cannot distinguish which one is toggled unfortunately. This circuit does cause alarms & limp-modes, so that narrows your efforts to either the exhaust or engine block switches.

Would these sensors be #20 and #33 in the diagram linked below?

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oem...0/electrical-2
    Hey 2012 vxr here, does it overheat on the water hose? How much water is coming out the exhaust? What about the back right in the transom port? And the side pisser? #33 definitely is the exhaust sensor. #22 looks the block sensor as well. You can take them out and supposedly put the tip of the sensor in hot water and measure ohms across some of the terminals like the older style ones.

Bryan, I haven't ran it on a hose, didn't know if it was a good idea to run it for long periods of time on the hose. Water seems to be flowing fine everywhere it should. The most perplexing thing to me is that it didn't overheat with the thermostat removed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsmith View Post
    Bryan, I haven't ran it on a hose, didn't know if it was a good idea to run it for long periods of time on the hose. Water seems to be flowing fine everywhere it should. The most perplexing thing to me is that it didn't overheat with the thermostat removed.
    Idle isn't bad to run. Let it run 10 minutes or so. Might be worth it to get a digital temp sensor and see what it's running while it goes into limp mode. Amazon has some for 30 bucks and you can add a tee with correct size port needed for on into the main water output.

+1
    Have you tested the thermostat
    Maybe it is not opening at all

+1
    Put it in a pot of hot water on the stove
    It should be full open way before the water boils

+1
    We change them after a few years here (saltwater riding) check on the engine block what it looks like as ours usually end up looking like shit when they're gone bad

+1
    Did you check the the Jetpump water intake filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernies10 View Post
    We change them after a few years here (saltwater riding) check on the engine block what it looks like as ours usually end up looking like shit when they're gone bad
    Is it the parts 20 and 33 in the linked diagram?

Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    Did you check the the Jetpump water intake filter?
    Actually, no. I'm just becoming familiar with these things, its my first. I found the filter in the parts diagram and will give it a check. Bought the ski a few months ago and just put it on the water for the first time. It shut down after about 10 minutes. The seller is adamant that he never had it happen, and the ski was last ran in December. I believe him. It has about 90 hours of salt water use. We (me and the seller) are thinking its a sensor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information