Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Owner opinions on 2up / 3up sacrifices

What made you choose what you did, and do you ever wish you got the other.

My purpose for the spark is a small agile, fun easy to ride ski for a small lake... There will be no long trips, but I can't deny the utility of the extra seat for occasional use or towing (esp. with a young family). The extra seat does add about a $1k premium, which is a lot on a spark. Alternatively, the $1k could be spent on the IBR/Trim of a 2 seater and make the ski itself more fun. We have a small child who would be a rider in a year or two as well... I guess the TLDR is: Do you think VTS/IBR is worth it over the ability to tube and carry a mom/dad/child...

I don't really know how I see the craft being used, I think it will have a fair share of solo and multiple riders (Probably 50/50) We never did much tubing with the small boat we had, but that could be on account of how under-powered it was (yes I see the SPARK!! as a better towing platform)... So I am curious what your thoughts and how you use your spark are, along with any regrets you might have. I think i am in the 3 seater camp right now, but I was all set for an optioned up 2 seater yesterday.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by danthaman68 View Post

My purpose ... is a small agile, fun easy to ride ski for a small lake... the utility of the extra seat for occasional use or towing (esp. with a young family).

... the ability to tube and carry a mom/dad/child...

I don't really know how I see the craft being used, I think it will have a fair share of solo and multiple riders (Probably 50/50) ... (yes I see the SPARK!! as a better towing platform)...

... I think i am in the 3 seater camp right now ...
    Not to take away from the Spark, but have you also considered the Yamaha EX/EXR? An optioned up Spark might be similar in price to a Yamaha.

The new EX hulls seem well regarded overall and the engine power is there.

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Not to take away from the Spark, but have you also considered the Yamaha EX/EXR? An optioned up Spark might be similar in price to a Yamaha.

The new EX hulls seem well regarded overall and the engine power is there.
    I've not... I like the weight of the Spark and when i was looking a year or so ago at the VX/Spark comparison, I thought the weight difference was more significant. Now I see that the Yammy website says its only about 150lb... How new are these hulls and how tossable are they?.. I have access to a small lake, anything over 50mph is too fast for the lake, so I like the spark over more power because you can drive it 100% all out, throw it around and have a good time without dying.

I will also add that my main draw is that there are some "Leftover Leftover" new 2017 Sparks near me and I'm hoping to get an awesome deal.

You suggestion has only muddied the water

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by danthaman68 View Post
    I've not... I like the weight of the Spark and when i was looking a year or so ago at the VX/Spark comparison, I thought the weight difference was more significant. Now I see that the Yammy website says its only about 150lb...

How new are these hulls and how tossable are they?.. I have access to a small lake, anything over 50mph is too fast for the lake, so I like the spark over more power because you can drive it 100% all out, throw it around and have a good time without dying.

You suggestion has only muddied the water
    Yamaha EX is different from VX.

The EX is a new smaller hull design, available since 2017.

The EXR is the higher performance version, more power in a lighter hull. Costs more, of course.

6. +1 by:

+1
    we got a 2up because we wanted something light & easy to throw around. We also have a boat so we wouldn't do much towing (if any) as we can do that with the boat.
    the 2up is perfect for what we wanted

8. +1 by:

+1
    Well speaking from experience as I have both a 2UP & a 3UP.

The 2UP is my go to when I want to ride on my own as it is slightly more maneuverable, it's so easy to spin and mess around on.

The 3UP is much more stable with more than one passenger and obviously gives you the option for towing.

Don't be fooled into thinking the Spark can't tow as they are very capable of doing it and we have had many hours behind our 3UP, knee boarding, wakeboarding and even skiing.

I cannot recommend iBR and particularly VTS enough. The latter transforms the ski, trimmed right up you will be able to slide it and do spins, trimmed right down it will handle like it is on rails and be much better for towing.

My recommendation based on your points above would be to go for the 3UP Trixx, it will give you everything you need.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by demon8991 View Post

I cannot recommend iBR and particularly VTS enough. ...
    On Yamaha I would have a similarly strong and positive recommendation for the Yamaha RiDE feature. Excellent ease of use, intuitive even for new riders, precise control, especially in tight areas around docks, launch ramps and other skis, much more than just reverse and braking.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like the 3 seater spark or a Yamaha ex are good choices. If you are looking at a 3 seater definitely check out the ex as well. Pricing is very similar. I think they are very competitive models. But for the fun of a 2 seater it’s the spark hands down. Either way you go I doubt you would be disappointed adding the ride from Yamaha or the Ibr on a spark. Definitely worthwhile upgrades

Interesting discussion and just curious, What is the weight difference between the 2-up and 3-up TRIXX , in pounds ?

We own an ‘18 VXR (my first ski and has now been commandeered by my wife and oldest son, ha-ha!) and a ‘19 SXR (which will be my rodeo bull toy this summer, satisfy my jones for hole shots, etc) and, I was gonna wait til 2020 to get a Spark Trixx but, I am finding it impossible to put it off that long! (THANKS A LOT to threads like this, op, ha-ha!)

Anyway, since “toss it around” will be the name of the game on the Spark and we’ll never be more than 1,000 yards from our own dock and guests have the VXR for couples cruising, etc I am leaning toward the 2-up (or, more accurately, the “1-1/2 up” as pointed out later on in his thread.

if only they had designed the Spark so as to allow direct access to the engine bay. Sigh ...
    Last edited by Thor; 03-03-2019 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Correct info posted by RXP-SWE (thanks!)

14. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Interesting discussion and just curious, What is the weight difference between the 2-up and 3-up TRIXX , in pounds ?

Found it much quicker than I’d thought (not sure how these ratios translate over to the TRIXX models but...):

352 LB / 160 KG (2UP) 450 LB / 205 KG (3UP)

Source:
    https://www.sea-doo.com/watercraft/r...doo-spark.htmlAnyhoo, I’m guessing that makes the 2-up A Whole Helluva Lot Easier to toss around. That is, “surface Antics” (which is what I am looking for - something to “fill the gap” between a VXR sit down and a standup ...
    That is not the wight of the skis, those are the allowed loads for each of them. The 2UP is really a 1.5UP in my perspective and the 3UP a 2.5UP. At least the 2UP gets very unstable when you exceed the load limit.

Here are the actual weights from the same source:

DRY WEIGHT
    405 lb / 184 kg 2UP
    421 lb / 191 kg 3UP

So the difference is not that big at all, the 3UP is about 10" longer as well and worth noting is that the 3UP is really a 2UP with a bolt on extension and longer seat.

I would also spend the extra $$$ on iBR and VTS if I wasn't on a really tight budget, the iBR makes it a lot easier to maneuver and dock and you can actually brake from high speed. You could get the manual reverse for the non iBR versions and it helps some but it cannot be compared to iBR. The fact that with iBR the ski starts in "neutral" is a huge plus in my book as well, especially with inexperienced riders.

16. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information