Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    +1

Got My Work Cut Out For Me!

I finally started tearing into the STX-15F I picked up last month. It's not my intent to use this 'Ski. I'm going to rob the engine, electrical system, etc. to install in an Ultra 150. Before I do that, however, I would like to run the STX to make sure the engine is running well. I'm also curious how the -15F compares to my old 1100 STXs.

I drained some old gas from the tank a while back and discovered a bunch of gum/trash. Yesterday, I pulled the fuel pump. As you can see, it's seen better days...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STX-15F Fuel Pump.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	445160  

+1
    Wow, thats got to go down as the worst fuel pump I have seen! Was it fueld by salt water, wow!
    This sounds like a real cool project. Please keep us informed with pics, gotcha's, cool things, etc!

A 15F engine in the Ultra, that would be a fun machine! Looking forward th this build!

+1
    Just a shame the way things are neglected, especially considering the amount of money that is spent on them. I can't expect that the engine oil or the hull was in much better condition.

4. +1 by:

+1
    I bought an STX-12F along with the -15F. Both sat outside for years because the lake level dropped to an unusable level.

I think the engines are OK, just old fuel and condensation in the tanks. I'll find out.

I'm following Ultra 15f's lead on the conversion.

Good thing I only gave $1100 apiece for them! The display on the 12-F is full of water, looks like an aquarium! The -15F display works fine.

+1
    Crazy thing i just picked up a 2004 f15 yesterday in great condition for almost free. This is the same year I used for my conversion and it has identical hours as mine when I did the conversion. I will be selling the fuel pump and gauge soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190227_170952.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	445196  
    Last edited by Ultra 15f; 02-27-2019 at 08:33 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra 15f View Post
    Crazy thing i just picked up a 2004 f15 yesterday in great condition for almost free. This is the same year I used for my conversion and it has identical hours as mine when I did the conversion. I will be selling the fuel pump and gauge soon.
    I bought a fuel pump off of Ebay for the -12F today. I've already got one for my 150 conversion. I wish I could find deals like yours! I've been perusing Craigslist for months!

Can't wait to see your next project, Ultra 15F!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I bought a fuel pump off of Ebay for the -12F today. I've already got one for my 150 conversion. I wish I could find deals like yours! I've been perusing Craigslist for months!

Can't wait to see your next project, Ultra 15F!
    I have been working some major upgrades for the first conversion i hope to have it completed soon and i will post a video update on that ski. Conversion 2 is a major under tanking i should have alot done by the end of summer. Good luck with your build

+1
    Thanks! Did you say that you were going to install a turbo or something like that? Can't wait to see what you come up with. I think a 4-stroke Ultra 150 would be a dream come true!

After I finish the 150, I'm going to try putting a couple of the 1500 engines in my Yamaha boat. That should be a fun project.

+1
    Humm, looks like someone dunked it in grape jelly.
    keep going! too cold here to even work on mine.

+1
    Well, I got the fuel tanks on both the -12F and -15F cleaned out this weekend. What an awful mess!

I siphoned the gas from both tanks, then cleaned them with lacquer thinner. I used a toilet bowl brush with an extension to swish the lacquer thinner around the tanks, then used long forceps and rags to swab the inside of the tanks. Pulled the rags out and ring them out, rinse, repeat. Inspect with an inspection camera, then do it again until they were totally clean. Probably took 3-4 hours per tank.

I'll probably never get the smell of that stuff out of my shop!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information