Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new guy questions

Hey, happy to be a member here. Just bought a 2019 FX SVHO LTD. Not delivered yet. My jet ski experience is limited to rentals on vacations. I will be running around the Manasquan River and the Barnegat at times. To get to the Barnegat I can go by ocean or trailer it to the bay. Not sure where to launch down there. Would be around Pt Pleasant I guess. I have a question for those more experienced. I am wondering about running in shallow water. So far I have read to not go more shallow than waist deep. Is that hard and fast rule? I see skis down at Tices Shoal and it is pretty shallow in spots there. How about beaching? Can seaweed ruin these? Thanks in advance. Mark

+1
    As long as there is clean water coming in the intake grate it doesn’t matter, but......

- Know your surroundings
    - Go slow in shallow areas or places you are not familiar with
    - Yu can beach but don’t drive up on the sand. Drag it. Or better yet, anchor out.
    - Avoid grass and seaweed.

Last but not least, don’t let other people ride it. They won’t pay attention to anything you tell them.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    a gps and a recent nautical map would be a huge help to keep you out of classic run it aground when the tide goes out embarrassment

4. +1 by:

Thank for the replies. I am looking at a small Garmin chart plotter. I like that " don't let other people drive it". That seems to be a recurring thought on the forum!

+1
    People will do the stupidest things to your stuff....no matter what you tell them and how often you tell them.

last summer....my wife let her girlfriend ride one of ours. All she had to do was drive 600 yards to the boat launch. She ended up hitting a wave, tumbled over it, broke her wrist, concussion, and messed up her back. She was off of work 4 months.

A few years ago, she met my daughters BF ride one....he sucked up a rope.

We all have these stories.

it only causes problems.

There is a tiny group of individuals that I will allow drive. My best friend who is very careful with others peoples crap and experienced, and my brother. But that’s it.

Anyway....you will make mistakes. Crap happens. Live and learn.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by squanderer View Post
    Thank for the replies. I am looking at a small Garmin chart plotter. I like that " don't let other people drive it". That seems to be a recurring thought on the forum!

before you lend your ski out....

consider it would be better going out at night, during the new moon, in a hurricane, drunk, with sunglasses on, with the low fuel and battery alarms blaring, to chase a tornado, to go shark fishing with an open wound after leaving your cell phone in the glovebox of your truck

oh yeah..2nd most important tip

Liability insurance a must

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    before you lend your ski out....

consider it would be better going out at night, during the new moon, in a hurricane, drunk, with sunglasses on, with the low fuel and battery alarms blaring, to chase a tornado, to go shark fishing with an open wound after leaving your cell phone in the glovebox of your truck

oh yeah..2nd most important tip

Liability insurance a must

What he said!

it ain’t cheap either especially for a guy like me. I also have an umbrella policy for $2M.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    If you have only ridden rentals, you might fill your pants the first time you pull the throttle on this ski. The horsepower is no laughing matter and can get you in real trouble in a hurry especially if you aren't used to that much power.

Take your time and take it easy learning the machine.

The Garmin echomap series are great GPS units. I have one installed on each ski. I would never go to unfamiliar waters without one.
    Last edited by K447; 02-25-2019 at 11:54 AM. Reason: you

+1
    I just helped a friend pull the pump on his new to him 05 Rxp, he took the ski to Mission bay (San Diego) for his first outing and let his brother ride the ski. When the brother brought the ski back to the beach he just rode it right up onto the beach with out shutting the engine off! That ended the day, we pulled 5 rocks out of the pump. Doh!

I hear you. and thanks for the warning. My thought was to put it into a slower mode ( apparently it has this in the digital display) until I get used to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information