Cool Getting into PWC fishing... any advice?

Hey everyone. I am very seriously considering getting into PWC fishing. I don't think I'm in the right place to have anyone talk me out of it.

I'm out of the Tampa, FL area where I am lucky enough to live on a saltwater canal with direct gulf access. At this point in my life, PWC fishing seems to be right up my alley. I love the idea of being able to walk out back, push the pwc in the water off of a floating dock, go fishing, come back and have relatively easy clean-up.

I've read all of the back and forth over brands and reliability. I REALLY don't want to stir any of that up but one of my main questions is this:

Since I am going to be riding exclusively in salt, storing on a floating dock in salt, should I be giving a stronger preference to the Rotax closed-loop system?

If not, I have found a 2007 Yamaha FX HO with 150ish hours listed at $5500 nearby. I think that's a good starting point, but if I'm wrong, let me know. I really love the new Sea-Doo Fish Pro but don't think I can justify spending $15k on something I don't even know if I enjoy yet!

I'm planning and budgeting a lot of crucial safety and riding gear including:
    - Emergency GPS locator
    - Waterproof handheld VHF
    - Good lifejacket
    - Wetsuit jacket
    - Goggles and possible face shield
    - Dye packs?
    (I have flares and other basic safety gear from boats)

Any other gear you would recommend?

In regards to cooler rack and rod holders, I've seen a lot of different set-ups around and I am still deciding on how I will end up approaching that. I am trying to figure out the right solution to quickly pop the rig on and off so I can cover it and store outside. So far Kool PWC Stuff seems like a fairly priced rack that I wouldn't have to build but open to suggestions here.

If anyone lives in the area and is looking for a fishing partner once I get rigged up, I would love to join you.

I appreciate any advice and recommendations. I'm trying to be as safe as possible out there.

+1
    I recommend getting a fish finder with some sort of GPS and charts. I didnt get the charts and regret it (I can add them later).
    For the price of cooler racks, I'm highly considering buying a lifetime cooler from walmart and attaching all my stuff straight to the cooler. (pole holders, plier holder, knife holder etc.) And all the mounting that i will need to hook it onto the ski.
    you could even attach a pole that drops down for your transducer so you dont have to mount it to the ski. (I mounted mine with a bracket.) It has held up to 76mph so far.
    As far as ski, im just using my GP1800, because i already have it. and i only fish freshwater currently.
    I currently just rachet strap an rtic cooler to the back, and its kind of pointless except for drinks/food and of course any catch you want to bring home. I dont feel good about drilling holes in it to mount stuff lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190215_114920.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	445110   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180722_124414.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	445111  

Thanks Reaper, I ordered a similar fish finder. I do like your mount location vs doing it in the center console. I have an idea for attaching the transducer to the ladder but I'll have to wait and see if that works out.

I ended up finding a 2011 VX HO with 118 hours and a few months of warranty left. Came with a cooler rack so I attached some Scotty style pole mounts and rod holders to it. Took it out for a ride with everything hooked up today and it all seemed to hold up good. Can't wait to get everything else set up and go fishing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190227_133327.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	445199

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    find posts by jetskibrian, he's the resident fishing guru

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper9789 View Post
    I recommend getting a fish finder with some sort of GPS and charts. I didnt get the charts and regret it (I can add them later).
    For the price of cooler racks, I'm highly considering buying a lifetime cooler from walmart and attaching all my stuff straight to the cooler. (pole holders, plier holder, knife holder etc.) And all the mounting that i will need to hook it onto the ski.
    you could even attach a pole that drops down for your transducer so you dont have to mount it to the ski. (I mounted mine with a bracket.) It has held up to 76mph so far.
    As far as ski, im just using my GP1800, because i already have it. and i only fish freshwater currently.
    I currently just rachet strap an rtic cooler to the back, and its kind of pointless except for drinks/food and of course any catch you want to bring home. I dont feel good about drilling holes in it to mount stuff lol.
    Iím setting my ski 13 VXR up now.
    I went with the dragonfly 4pro with chart and so on.
    Doing a dual battery also for off shore. Using all Bluesea equipment. A UHF would be good to have also

+1
    Nice solid fishing/cooler rack

Name:	IMG_0784.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	445246  

7. +1 by:

+1
    Here is my transom mount setup.. people sell pretty nice ones so you dont have to build a ghetto one like mine. (made from an old street sign lol)
    I tried gluing it in the hull under the supercharger, but it would not work there. I have gone 76 with the transducer setup here. I get good readings to about 35mph, then it wigs out.

Name:	20190301_134602.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	445248  

Thread Information