Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

+1
    I have ignored this for a while but after waking yesterday, and finding out we've been hacked and bank accounts emptied, dealing with all that entails I decided I needed a little wrench therapy. Took the wheel off to pull the hub and in doing so found this. I am not a master mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but am pretty sure this is the problem. Not sure if it's paint, a bad casting or both but the seal area on the axle is rough as hell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triton axle stub.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	445543  

+1
    Also, I thought this was a dexter axle because of the lubrication system coming back out the front. Reading the dexter manual it mentions a washer and a funny retainer for axles after 2002 neither of which were there. Looked at the tag on the axle and it is a Reliable axle, so I downloaded their manual off the Triton website and they have 2 lube systems. The one everyone thinks of with reliable, the sure lube which the grease comes out a hole at the end of the spindle shaft but they also have one just like the dexter system too which is on my axle.

+1
    Sorry to hear they hacked your bank accounts! That really sucks! I got hit with ransomware on my work computer this week. I went and changed all my passwords from another computer. We'll see what happens.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Sorry to hear they hacked your bank accounts! That really sucks! I got hit with ransomware on my work computer this week. I went and changed all my passwords from another computer. We'll see what happens.
    Thank you, it is a sobering occurrence for sure, I hope yours turns out well too.

+1
    Just a little update. Changed out the bearings and seal a while back and took a short 10 mile loop with no evidence of grease leakage. Was hoping to ride today but the ramp looked like you could walk across the water so we passed. Round trip was 40 miles and absolutely no grease slinging.

Unfortunately while sitting at the dock looking at all the debris in the ramp and trees floating down the river I noticed that the license plate bracket had snapped and plate was gone.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toledoupsguy View Post
    Unfortunately while sitting at the dock looking at all the debris in the ramp and trees floating down the river I noticed that the license plate bracket had snapped and plate was gone.
    I got sick of losing license plates and went with a motorcycle sized plate bolted to the fender.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xspook View Post
    I got sick of losing license plates and went with a motorcycle sized plate bolted to the fender.
    Cool tip! Did not know this was an option for us in FL.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Cool tip! Did not know this was an option for us in FL.
    I've heard on this forum that some counties are reluctant to do this, but Brevard county was no problem. Just gotta ask.

Also, it's not 100% legal if there is no light shining on the plate.

I asked a cop about it and he said he really didn't care, but there may be that guy that would.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information