Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

+1

Do I have a problem with my Triton?

A little background. Bought a 2018 WCII the end of July and it made 7 trips to the river. The night we brought it home (unloaded) noticed it had a nasty shake and it had grease on the back of one of the wheels. Took the wheel off to clean it up and was absolutely shocked and appalled that only one of the 5 lug nuts was torqued correctly. 2 of the other 4 only took moderate pressure to break loose and the other 2 moved with just the weight of the wrench on them. Took the cap off yesterday and this is what the grease looks like. I know if there is a warranty issue I will have to take it to the dealer but I have no faith or confidence in them at all.

definitely still flinging grease
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grease hub close up.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	445036   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back of wheel.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	445037  

+1
    Looks like the loose lugs caused the wheel to wobble which prevented the rear seal from functioning properly, thus all the grease splatter.

I would take it back and have them conduct a thorough inspection and possible rebuild of the hub.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Usually with aluminum wheels you are supposed to retorque the lug nuts after 50 miles or so. It probably says so either on the trailer or in the paperwork that came with the trailer.

I think the wheels are installed once the trailer reaches itís final destination, not from the triton factory.

+1
    Owners responsibility to check lug nuts. Tag on trailer states 90-100 ft/lbs torque for wheel lug nuts. Tag is located near a wheel.

Greasing bearings......do it slowly. when you feel resistance, stop. If you don't it results in blowing out the inner seal.

The hub seal is missing. It covers the grease nipple.
    https://www.hannarv.com/P/18605/Triton03849RubberPlug
    Last edited by 1tommygunner1927; 02-21-2019 at 07:01 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    Usually with aluminum wheels you are supposed to retorque the lug nuts after 50 miles or so. It probably says so either on the trailer or in the paperwork that came with the trailer.

I think the wheels are installed once the trailer reaches it’s final destination, not from the triton factory.
    I am sure that you are genuinely trying to be helpful. As far as where the wheels are attached it depends on which trailer was on the bottom when the dealer pucked it up or was delivered. Since this was their only 2 place I'm pretty sure it was on the road from the distributor. Also the last thing the sales manager said to the shop guy was make sure the wheels are torqued and greased. Dealer is 25 miles from home so finding only 1 lug nut torqued wasn't me not following procedure. I am not joking when I say 2 of them turned from the weight of the wrench.

I am actually more concerned with the color and consistency of the grease.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toledoupsguy View Post
    I am sure that you are genuinely trying to be helpful. As far as where the wheels are attached it depends on which trailer was on the bottom when the dealer pucked it up or was delivered. Since this was their only 2 place I'm pretty sure it was on the road from the distributor. Also the last thing the sales manager said to the shop guy was make sure the wheels are torqued and greased. Dealer is 25 miles from home so finding only 1 lug nut torqued wasn't me not following procedure. I am not joking when I say 2 of them turned from the weight of the wrench.

I am actually more concerned with the color and consistency of the grease.
    Watch the video in the link I provided regarding greasing the bearings.

+1
    If I could weigh-in on this . . . as it appears in the photo above, the grease-flinging is coming from the inner spindle/hub - not between the wheel/hub. I see plenty residue there. The wind will cause such a wide splatter field.

Some things can cause this;
    a bad inner hub seal
    a loose spindle nut (is the cotter-pin still there)
    failed hub bearings - can be due to a under or over-torqued spindle nut.

True on alum wheels & rechecking the lug nuts periodically. Tighten them if needed. Then, if so inclined, you can jack up the trailer side so the wheel comes off the ground, kneel along side the wheel, grab opposite sides of the tire and wiggle in & out. If you feel slop/play - it's one of the issues above.

If service and parts will be covered - by all-means take it in.

8. +1 by:

That is an odd grease color. Pull the rubber plug on the other side just to compare.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Braley View Post
    That is an odd grease color. Pull the rubber plug on the other side just to compare.
    Other side is a blackish grey

+1
    Those dont even look like the right wheels for a 2018 WCll
    They don't look like my 2018?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information