Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2003 Sea Doo Challenger 1800 - Needs work

I am looking to buy a 2003 but it has some issues i was hoping to get some feedback on. The issues are the impellor is not turning when the boat starts. I assume since there are no transmissions that the PTO, shaft, and impellor all need to be replaced. Problem is, i cannot find any parts for the life of me for a 2003. I believe this has a 240 EFI 2 stroke in it, not familar with this engine either, or what goes wrong. I am keeping my 03 XP DIs alive so i am familar with the overhaul process, but lack of parts is def an issue. Thoughts and help appreciated.

Tom

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    run away

that model with it's merc driveline is an orphan nobody will want to help you with ( even me!)

I'll tell you right now what the problem is

the gear train in the jet drive is damaged, water intrusion into the gear case, and you need a whole bunch of very expensive merc dealer tools and parts to assemble it

not to mention the gears themselves are likely no longer available

again, run run run as far and fast as you can.

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    run away

that model with it's merc driveline is an orphan nobody will want to help you with ( even me!)

I'll tell you right now what the problem is

the gear train in the jet drive is damaged, water intrusion into the gear case, and you need a whole bunch of very expensive merc dealer tools and parts to assemble it

not to mention the gears themselves are likely no longer available

again, run run run as far and fast as you can.
    i already bought it. There are gears in the jet drive?? It’s not direct input and output?

I found out the impellor does turn but the boat cabotage sand does not accelerate. I confirmed it turns with engine running

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosl2 View Post
    i already bought it. There are gears in the jet drive?? It’s not direct input and output?
    Not a good move.

7. +1 by:

I guess I will have to make it work. Is this boat a piece of junk, lol?

+1
    as the story goes as far as I understand it Seadoo didn't have enough 4 tec blocks available for their new boat line, so they grafted a merc v6 into it.

Great boat when its running with no problems.

I got caught by surprise the first time I took one in. what did I know in 2008 when I opened my shop

there was a rope ingestion incident. That's when I realized what it was.

a Year later my storage guy called. The owner dropped the boat in a locker then abandoned it. Saw my decal on the trailer and asked me what contact info I had for the guy

He was able to get him

then I took one in for an ignition problem. Couldn't get the parts and no merc dealer would work with me on it. Bought a bunch of pricey stuff on ebay. Cost the guy over $2000. I made practically zilch on that deal.

That's when I stopped taking them. I get calls on them now and then. "but its a seadoo"!
    -------

as far as what to do next turbosl2, remove the jet drive and inspect the splines. Drain the oil and inspect for debris

Then advertise the boat for a part out. You can make some good money on the motor if it runs good. Gonna cost you some money to dispose of the hull, but all the trim and upsholster can get good money

Hope you didn't pay much for it

There's a 90 degree turn in the jet pump ( PTO on the v6 is vertical), those gears are the ones that get trashed

it's gonna be coyote ugly.

here's what the drive looks like off the boat for those of you following

as the story goes as far as I understand it Seadoo didn't have enough 4 tec blocks available for their new boat line, so they grafted a merc v6 into it.

Great boat when its running with no problems.

I got caught by surprise the first time I took one in. what did I know in 2008 when I opened my shop

there was a rope ingestion incident. That's when I realized what it was.

a Year later my storage guy called. The owner dropped the boat in a locker then abandoned it. Saw my decal on the trailer and asked me what contact info I had for the guy

He was able to get him

then I took one in for an ignition problem. Couldn't get the parts and no merc dealer would work with me on it. Bought a bunch of pricey stuff on ebay. Cost the guy over $2000. I made practically zilch on that deal.

That's when I stopped taking them. I get calls on them now and then. "but its a seadoo"!
    -------

as far as what to do next turbosl2, remove the jet drive and inspect the splines. Drain the oil and inspect for debris

Then advertise the boat for a part out. You can make some good money on the motor if it runs good. Gonna cost you some money to dispose of the hull, but all the trim and upsholster can get good money

Hope you didn't pay much for it

There's a 90 degree turn in the jet pump ( PTO on the v6 is vertical), those gears are the ones that get trashed

it's gonna be coyote ugly.

here's what the drive looks like off the boat for those of you following

I appreciate the feedback but I won’t be parting it out. I don’t see a 90 def turn in the jet drive in this pic. I will look for that but I guess my take away is there are no parts available?

+1
    is the pic displaying?..you don't see the design of the pump?

just a warning. don't eat anything before you start sniffing around.

complete jetpumps for that model sell for $2k..and those are the USED ones

is the pic displaying?..you don't see the design of the pump?

just a warning. don't eat anything before you start sniffing around.

complete jetpumps for that model sell for $2k..and those are the USED ones
    The pic wasnt displaying on my phone before but now i can clearly see the design. I am hoping this is not the issue. I do appreciate all the feedback. At this point its all hearsay since its winter here and the company i purchased from said they were told the boat doesnt move fast through the water, it does move and the previous owner was able to get it back to the dock...yet it runs fine. This leads me to believe its in the jet pump but i am not sure if the gearing has failed and its slipping, or if the engine is really the cause under load. I was told (have not verified yet because i have not seen the boat in person) that the impellor spins fine with the engine running. The salesman gave me bad information and said it does not spin, he was wrong. The technician said all seems well on the trailer but he only knows the boats performance from what the previous owner told him and noway to verify without putting in the water...which we cant do since its winter and water is frozen. This is why i was hoping to learn more about the drive system and what could be the issue based on the information i know.

I am not sure how the boat could move slow and impeller be tight and only go a few MPH. To much skepticism and unknowns but you guys at least are giving me things to look for.

Is their gear oil in those right angle drives that needs to be changed? Where are parts available? I dont see the sea doo parts diagrams with anything listed for propulsion or engine. Even if i needed an engine part! Is there a place that sells parts and has a parts diagram for a 2003 with a Merc?

Thanks for the help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information