***GP1300R Options Forward / Feedback Needed***

My 1300r has served me very well since I was a kid and I'm at the crossroads of what to do next. The SKI is apart at the moment to replace all 4 motor mounts. The head needs JB weld or replacement due to the exhaust flange on the head is severed. In addition, the oil pump seemed to be acting up prior to the tear down which has steered me to leverage the block off kit and use pre-mix moving forward. The ski has roughly 250 hours with the original motor and sure got my fun and $$$'s worth. With the above said, I'm tabling a few options and looking for input from the fellow members.

Option 1- Install the new mounts, replace the head or JB Weld, oil block off kit, and drive it till it dies?

Option 2- Replace the motor with a manufactured one from SBT since the ski is practically apart. As I could take a stab at it, I rather have someone do the work. I'm located in South NJ.

Option 3- Spend some $$$ and do a HO or SHO conversion which is a real project but the ski is sentimental. Any recommended shops local to the North East recommended?

Option 4- Sell as is and someone take it off my hands. Ski is in good shape all around minus what was outlined. What would you price it at?

Option 5- Part everything out since that seems like the most bang for your buck but time consuming?

I appreciate everyone's thoughts or input.

Quote Originally Posted by njgprider View Post
    My 1300r has served me very well since I was a kid and I'm at the crossroads of what to do next. The SKI is apart at the moment to replace all 4 motor mounts. The head needs JB weld or replacement due to the exhaust flange on the head is severed. In addition, the oil pump seemed to be acting up prior to the tear down which has steered me to leverage the block off kit and use pre-mix moving forward. The ski has roughly 250 hours with the original motor and sure got my fun and $$$'s worth. With the above said, I'm tabling a few options and looking for input from the fellow members.

Option 1- Install the new mounts, replace the head or JB Weld, oil block off kit, and drive it till it dies?

Option 2- Replace the motor with a manufactured one from SBT since the ski is practically apart. As I could take a stab at it, I rather have someone do the work. I'm located in South NJ.

Option 3- Spend some $$$ and do a HO or SHO conversion which is a real project but the ski is sentimental. Any recommended shops local to the North East recommended?

Option 4- Sell as is and someone take it off my hands. Ski is in good shape all around minus what was outlined. What would you price it at?

Option 5- Part everything out since that seems like the most bang for your buck but time consuming?

I appreciate everyone's thoughts or input.
    Parting out complete skis is just evil in my opinion. They don't make these anymore, the hull will end up in a garbage heap because it is missing too many parts that were sold off. There are people like me out there that will bring this stuff back from the dead because we're mechanically inclined cheap asses who don't want to break down in the middle of the lake.

Do Option 1 and sell it immediately to maximize your return on this liability. Otherwise Option 4 to take the loss but hopefully send it to a good home to be rescued.

Get her rebuilt. She deserves it and long overdue. Bottom end might be ok. Might get away with a top end. Convert to pre mix all day.

+1
    Take it to http://www.islandracing.net/contactinfo.html They aren't far from you and they made my GP1300 fly.

+1
    The head needs JB weld or replacement due to the exhaust flange on the head is severed.
    Exhaust flange on the head? Not sure what that means. I'd probably weld it, not JB.

I'm not a fan of oil pump removal, or SBT. Fix it and enjoy it!

+1
    So if it were me:

Option 1 - You've already gotten a heck of a life from the motor without issue. If you're going to have it out to replace mounts, why not breathe some new life into it, one way or another?

Option 2 - I don't know much about the SBT motors personally, but I can tell you that when I replaced one of my pistons with SBT on a prior GP1300r I owned, I got a lot of grief from folks on here regarding the poor quality of SBT parts. I don't know whether that's true or not, but I know that my old machine is still running fine for the guy. If I had KEPT that 1300r, would I have replaced with SBT? Probably not. What I CAN tell you is that if you buy an SBT motor, it will have sleeved cylinders instead of nikasil plated ones. I wouldn't personally do that, but that's just me.

Option 3 - I still consider doing this exact same thing, but if I ever do, it will probably be on a different machine. As it is, I already sold my previous 1300r in 2016 to go buy the "ultimate machine", a GP1800 as soon as it came out. Only a month after owning it, as much as I love it, I missed my 1300r. Last year I went out and bought another 1300r, and just went and had a fun time modifying the crap out of it since it's cheap and easy to do. Between my GP1800 and 1300r, which is my favorite? I honestly don't know, but there's something about that 2-stroke smell, angry hornet-sounding exhaust, and the playful nature of it? I'd never get rid of it.....but maybe it would be even better with a SHO in it? If so, I'd have to turbo it, because I'd otherwise be eating up supercharger clutches left and right from how I play around on the 1300. If I ever do this, it will be a separate project ski. Even in its current form, my 1300r is pretty quick....It can't quite keep up with my 1800, which is also slightly modified, but it will pass up any stock ski on the water.

Option 4 - You'll regret it if you're like me. I hope I'm never in a position where I have to choose between my 1800 and 1300, because I genuinely don't know which I'd pick. If all I cared about was SPEED, hands-down I would sell my 1300 and focus on the newer supercharged craft, but if you like to play, and get wet, and spin the machine around at 60mph, don't sell it.
    Option 5 - If it's just money you're after? Sure, I guess you'll probably get the most out of it that way. Is it worth all the work and itemization? Time spent listing all the parts? Managing them? I'm throwing up in my mouth a little just thinking about it...

I appreciate every one's opinions. Island Racing is 2 hours away and not bad at all. Any other recommended shops in NJ, NY, PA, DE, or MD?

+1
    Island Racing is 2 hours away and not bad at all. Any other recommended shops in NJ, NY, PA, DE, or MD?
    Well that makes it easy! Island Racing all the way! Carl knows his stuff!

Thread Information