+1

Question "PTO sleeve and seals" in maintenance schedule

Anybody know exactly what is replaced in this step? It says "replace oil seal and two water seals" every 200h.

I've been searching info here about the PTO design and issues of 14-15 and early 16 models. Thankfully I bought a 2017, but this is a serious design problem, since if you find rust on the early PTO seal area the only true resolution is to replace the crank of the engine. If I had an older model, I would check this area frequently. I found this video which clearly demonstrates the parts and potential problem of corrosion on the PTO where the water should be sealed out.

I'm still trying to find a clear demonstration of the revised 2016+ PTO parts, and where I may be able to do some preventative maintenance on mine.

This video is in Spanish, but it covers replacing the actual oil seals on the crank.

Looking at the parts diagram for my 2017 model, the PTO cover and seals don't seem to be any different. I think just the PTO itself was made a separate piece from the engine crank shaft so it could be replaced in case of corrosion without tearing the whole engine apart for a new crank. The price of the complete PTO cover with seals already in it was $119, there is also a PTO cover gasket, and a drive shaft boot that has to be replaced. If I add up the prices on the seal parts without replacing the entire cover, it's around $80 or so. I think just buying and replacing the complete PTO cover assembly is the smart move due to the labor of this maintenance. I'll probably let the dealer handle it. I will definitely take mine in for a maintenance check up before the 3yr warranty is over, just to be safe.

I'm also thinking of jamming grease up into the drive shaft boot area from the bottom of the hull, to try and prevent water and corrosion from reaching the seal area. I know most of it will just come out, but worth a shot I guess.

+1
    Thanks, good info you gathered there, now it's pretty clear what is involved in this. I have a 2015 so I'll make sure to check this before this season. I run 95% fresh water so hopefully it's not too bad yet.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JonUF02 View Post
    This video is in Spanish, but it covers replacing the actual oil seals on the crank.

In regards to the video the translation of having to replace the camshaft is incorrect he meant to say crank shaft output sleeve not camshaft.

+1
    If and when replacing the output sleeve it need to be thoroughly clean with pulley spray cleaner and new thread lock apples to the crank threads and torqued down, if am not mistaken is like 160-180 lb donít quote me in the specs .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DR2006RXP View Post
    In regards to the video the translation of having to replace the camshaft is incorrect he meant to say crank shaft output sleeve not camshaft.
    I realized that error as well, but since he is referring to a 2014 it should actually be crank shaft and not only the sleeve.

Thread Information