Question Thoughts on the 2001 Yamaha XL800?

Hi folks!

Just recently purchased my very first PWC, Yamaha xl800, but I have not had the time to take it out for a spin.
    So I thought maybe some of you could share some thoughts and things How it runs, some faults, some good things and also bad things.

There isnt really a wide variety of good reviews on youtube to please me either so... I might have to change that haha.

Hi. Generally a decent ski. It won’t set your pants on fire worth Performance but they are keen enough. Been on one a few times and had the same engine in a lighter GP800r ski. Performed well in that wee thing.
    Good points are
    Good on fuel, fairly powerful for their size and easy to rebuild every 100hours.
    Bad points
    Known for dropping power valves and keep an eye on the condition of the oil injection lines or change to pre mix at 40-1.

Like all these old 2 strokes...a compression test will tell all. Should be seeing around 120 psi in both and within a few psi of each other. Less than 100 psi is on the edge of no good.

All in reliable and keep her top end done every 100 hours and make sure those power valves don’t drop. A pleasure to rebuild when the time comes.

3. +1 by:

As for what performance to expect. The xlt 800 I was familiar with saw late 40’s gps in ideal conditions. 50 might be achievable with a few mods on the rare occasion. Not sure. Quite a heavy hull for the wee 800. The same engine in my GP saw late 50’s gps with fancy prop and riva stuff.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Xl800 is a nice pleasure ski...2001 should have the xlt type Stabilizer, 2000 earlier versions tend to make them lean...all had 90 pilot jets, that really should be stepped up to 92.5s..which will allow easier starting and reduce dropping power valves...while cleaning the carbs, do the balancing Mod in the FAQ section with a 80 pilot jet in the return.... only use Mikuni's diaphragms....last thing for reliability, ensure/install SBT links or wave eater clips on power valve pins, to stop the pins from backing out and dropping the power valves....for performance, all the hull stuff for a xlt 1200 will work on a xl800..

Quote Originally Posted by QBhoy View Post
    Known for dropping power valves and keep an eye on the condition of the oil injection lines or change to pre mix at 40-1.

How exactly do i mix 40-1, its a 70 liter total capacity? If you could do that math because i dont really understand that terminology...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Edvinado View Post
    How exactly do i mix 40-1, its a 70 liter total capacity? If you could do that math because i dont really understand that terminology...
    You should add 1 liter of oil for each 40 liters of gasoline. For 70 liters, you need 1.75 liters of oil. If this doesn't make sense to you, stay with oil injection. Oil injection works fine if you secure the hoses properly.

thanks steve45.

it was premix configurated when I bought it, and i have it on other machines too. thanks for clearing it up for me! Have had some issues with the oil injection before so having it premixed makes me feel very comfortable

I just used a 20l quick fill fuel can. So 500ml of oil in 20l of fuel. Then put it in the tank. Repeat as many times as you like.

Thread Information