Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SVHO loss of power, super charger clutch bearing.

EDIT. I lost the original post!
    This is close....

Hi to all and thanks in Advance for anyone’s help. I’m trying to diagnose a 2015 FZS. She has a fizzle intercooler, Ride plate cut, Solas impeller, Dean’s team 93 octane tune, ribbon delete, and RIVA air filter.

Before the fizzle install running stock intercooler and SC and all other listed mods she was running 84 - 85 mph.

I just put the fizzle on as well as a 2019 supercharger for reliability. I was concerned with the supercharger shaft issue and instead of having the shaft upgraded and the housing pinned etc, I opted for an entirely new supercharger.

The other day I put her on the water and the first run was great. She was down a couple miles per hour around only 82-83. But overall felt really strong and I attributed the small loss in speed to warmer air temps and maybe the new impeller pitch to go with the fizzle tune is off a little bit and why I lost some speed instead of gaining.

But for those 30 or 40 minutes she felt strong and I was generally happy and looking forward to dialing in whatever necessary to get back to the mid-80s.

Yesterday I put her back on the water to test some trim adjustments and almost immediately I noticed a boggy throttle. I had let her warm up for a few minutes as usual and first acceleration up to about 50 mph was calm. But the first time I got on it I felt the throttle bog down a little bit like an old 2-stroke that hasn’t warmed up yet and is flooding itself. So idled around a minute or so longer and got on the throttle again and she ran fine for about 15 minutes.

Then suddenly the RPM’s dropped to around 5500-6k.
    If I let off the throttle and get back on it really fast the engine with surge up to full RPM but immediately drop down to 5500 or so. It did this for another 20 or 30 minutes before I gave up and brought her homez

On the trailer she seems to rev up to full RPM fine and I even heard the blowoff valve release each time. (Hate doing this just wanted to see and hear the Rev)

I have since read that the supercharger clutch bearing could be slipping and have taken the air intake off and the SC impeller fan only spins one way. I’m guessing that perhaps the clutch is only partially wore out and why I cannot yet spin the fan both ways?

Or is there possibly something else causing this?! It sure seems like the symptoms of a bad clutch but I’m confused why it doesn’t spin both ways ...
    Last edited by Floon34; 02-18-2019 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Lost text

+1
    Sure sounds like your clutch is on its way out.
    You let off and back on and it revs up to normal rpm’s then backs down that’s your clutch slipping

Exactly what I’ve been reading but the SC fan only spins one way. You think it’s still engaged enough to prevent fan to spin both ways but jacked up enough I’m loosing RPM?

Quote Originally Posted by BLASTER 1 View Post
    Sure sounds like your clutch is on its way out.You let off and back on and it revs up to normal rpm’s then backs down that’s your clutch slipping
    I had the same thing, clutch would spin freely one way but would have a small amount of movement before locking in the other direction. Was less than an hour before it was gone completely, also damaged the idler gear as well. Replaced both the Sprag clutch and idler gear and now its going hard again.CheersDave

+1
    Yup, even if it grabs and feels solid by finger pressure doesn’t mean it’s good
    Those sprags take a lot of abuse for sure, change your clutch and you’ll be faster then what you said in your first post

+1
    I know you might find this sound insane but pressure test your cooler, it's happened to me before and it sure sounds like the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Spi200 View Post
    I had the same thing, clutch would spin freely one way but would have a small amount of movement before locking in the other direction. Was less than an hour before it was gone completely, also damaged the idler gear as well. Replaced both the Sprag clutch and idler gear and now its going hard again.CheersDave
    it has zero movement one way and freely the other. I’m thinking it’s just now going and hasn’t worn enough to allow finger pressure to spin the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernies10 View Post
    I know you might find this sound insane but pressure test your cooler, it's happened to me before and it sure sounds like the same thing
    Do you mean it’s possibly clogged? I have maybe 1hr on the ski since fizzle

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Floon34 View Post
    Do you mean it’s possibly clogged? I have maybe 1hr on the ski since fizzle
    Well, could be leaking. Mine was and it shared similiar symptoms, I had a good 35 hours on it or so. If i idled for a while and gave it gas it would bog as you've described, I always played it off to be condensation in the cooler but after checking everything we discovered the cooler was leaking, it may not be your issue but worth a look into it. I understand how it would be a hassle to remove it again

Quote Originally Posted by BLASTER 1 View Post
    Yup, even if it grabs and feels solid by finger pressure doesn’t mean it’s good
    Those sprags take a lot of abuse for sure, change your clutch and you’ll be faster then what you said in your first post
    its definitely going to be checked first.

My dealer service manager said the 2019 SC is too much for the 15 clutch. He said they can’t work together. But the 2019 SC bolted up fine and looks IDENTICAL to the 2018 (just half the price).
    They put a 2018 SC on my 2017 GP when the og SC blew up and smoked the engine. So if they can put a 2018 SC on a 2017 engine and the 2017 engine is the same as the 2014 2015 and 2016 (aside from timing chain change), then a 2019 SC on a 2015 engine should not be an issue either.

So, I had the parts department check the clutch part number and the clutch parts from 2014-2019 are all the same... so to say the 2015 clutch can’t handle a 2019 seems inaccurate and he was just theorizing.

I was anticipating 86-87mph. It ran 84-85 with stock IC and SC...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information