Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spark sponsons - modify for more slide?

Has anyone tried modifying the spark sponsons for more fun sliding? I'm thinking about buying a pair and experimenting with removing some of the lower edge material. I read about people removing the sponsons to have some fun, but it becomes dangerous to use at higher speeds. I bought the Trixx for it's name sake, to goof off and spin and jump. I'm finding that it's still not so easy to spin like older skis.

The other, more expensive option may be some aftermarket sponsons, but those are really focused on carving and racing, where I would want to be sure that if I put them in the upper adjustment position, then it will be playful like I want it. If someone could provide input on this I would appreciate it before wasting hundreds of dollars.

+1
    Possibly a silly question, when you are sliding on your Trixx what position do you have the Trim at?

• Trim right up will make it super skiddy
    • Trim right down and it will handle like it is on rails

I've tried various positions. I typically keep it 2 clicks up when playing. Putting the trim up makes it a bit easier, but still not so easy to slide. My old Hondas would 360 and slide easier with no trim adjustments available.

+1
    Get another pair of stock sponsons and either just drill new holes in them to make them adjustable like the aftermarket ones or if that is not enough try grinding them of step by step until you get what you want. I drilled holes in mine but to drop them to get a bit better bite in the turns and it worked out pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by RXP-SWE View Post
    Get another pair of stock sponsons and either just drill new holes in them to make them adjustable like the aftermarket ones or if that is not enough try grinding them of step by step until you get what you want. I drilled holes in mine but to drop them to get a bit better bite in the turns and it worked out pretty well
    I understand the theory, but if you look at the stock "slots" the screw is already at the bottom. This is why I'm thinking aftermarket in the upmost position may get me where I want to be. I thought about measuring down about 1/2" on the back and drilling through, maybe the position for the screw won't be too awkward to put them back on with the new holes??

Aftermarket would be easier than a bunch of trial and error trying to remove material and wasting money on new stock sponsons, even though they're cheap-ish. I don't really have time to try something, go water test, back home and try again, repeat.

I decided to just go for it, I slotted the stock sponsor holes down. I drilled at the bottom of the recessed area, using the wall as a guide for my drill, then connected the dots. We'll see how it goes this weekend. The bolts are not recessed, but tighten just fine. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190222_163516.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	445064

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190222_163610.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	445065

+1
    Keen to hear your results.
    I just trim all the way up for slide and it works well but have been considering some after market ones.

Trim at the top is useless, it just wants to shoot the nose up, not even rideable. 1 click from the top is where I tail stand, and one below that is the best for play. It still doesn't really slide. If you've ever ridden an old 2 stroke or a Honda you may understand, but all the new skis are too focused on "handling" at best I struggle to get 180.

+1
    it's completely rideable - i ride it trim up all the time.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JonUF02 View Post
    Trim at the top is useless, it just wants to shoot the nose up, not even rideable. 1 click from the top is where I tail stand, and one below that is the best for play. It still doesn't really slide. If you've ever ridden an old 2 stroke or a Honda you may understand, but all the new skis are too focused on "handling" at best I struggle to get 180.
    With the greatest respect, I completely disagree.

Trimmed up the Spark is easy to slide, you just have to use your body weight. If you can't do 180's on a Spark you aren't doing it right, I can almost get the whole way round.

Leaning hard on either side of the ski I can slide for ages.

This is coming from someone who has spent a lot of time riding turbo Hondas.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information