Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't Decide, Please Help. Between 2019 VXR or 2019 Cruiser HO

I have had Jetskis my whole life, I am fairly literate. I am new to this forum and hope to make friends around Lake Lanier and get some solid input.

I have narrowed down to these 2 skis, as we all know, of Yamaha's dependability and the largest normally aspirated engine available.

I keep going back and forth between the VXR and the VX HO Cruiser.

The 2019 VXR has the nano-cell 2 hull, is 30 pounds lighter, has power trim, an updated top load intake grate and the new ride plate. These are new for 2019. The VXR will cost me exactly $800 more than the VX HO Cruiser. I prefer the color and the look of the VXR over the VX HO Cruiser.

The 2019 VX HO Cruiser has no wake mode and cruise control. I am really torn with what would be more important and/or valuable for me. The no-wake cruise control or the power trim?

Although a performance junkie most of my life, I believe the performance of these 2 skis, is within a mile or 2 an hour of each other. So it's not a performance thing, as the approximately 65 mph is more than enough.

The front half of both of the seats are the same, as far as comfort and bolstering. Yes, the rear of the seat of the Cruiser is different, but I don't really care about it.

The no wake mode cruise control might be a nice thing, but I don't know how often I will use it just puttering around Lake Lanier for the few times a year I am going to ride the new ski.

Every ski I have had prior has always had electric trim. With the skis evolving, and the predictability of the hull performance, me not being a racer and needing to drop the trim to drop the nose to carve corners, will I be better served to save the little money by the non-updated VX HO Cruiser? Or will I not use the cruise control and wake mode as much as I would use the trim on the VXR?

The main reason for trim for me, would be to stop porpoising at slower speeds.

I believe the VXR will bring me back more money, if I want to sell it later, as it was updated for 2019 with the hull intake grate and ride plate.

So the question is, based on the differences that I spelled out, it really comes down to trim or cruise control. I am an older guy, still like some performance, and I do think about resell value (later.) What do you guys think is the better purchase? The VXR or the HO?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Both the models you are considering have the same 1.8 liter engine, correct?

My understanding is that all the 2019 VX HO (non-supercharged) models have the same hull shape/design (bottom hull and top deck). VXR has NanoXcel 2, I did not check which hull material the VX HO Cruiser uses.

The seats are interchangeable, you can put a Cruiser seat on the non-Cruiser model, is my understanding.

The upgraded 2019 ‘VXR/GP1800R’ intake grate and ride plate are retrofittable to prior years of the same hull. If the 2019 VX Cruiser HO does not include the upgraded ride plate and intake grate, they can be installed after purchase.

I ride 2017 GP1800 with trim and currently without Cruise and No-Wake functions. I use the trim often. In rough water full trim up smooths the ride, handling is softer but limits speed over the waves without coming unhooked. Full trim down forces the nose into the chop, allows for faster speeds without bouncing out one water but the ride is harsher.

With a passenger aboard I use trim down to lift the rear and keep the hull more level when running a moderate to slow speeds. At higher speeds trim angle is determined by water conditions and passenger attitude.

Trim also allows me to compensate for fuel load, trim up a bit when tank is full, trim level or slightly down when the tank is getting empty.

Porpoising has not been a problem for me. I do find the stock pre-2019 ride plate to not track well, tendency to slide out during fast or hard turns. The aftermarket and 2019 Yamaha ‘race’ ride plates have a bottom channel that really helps with hull tracking and predictably in turns.

I have added a Worx trim extension to the trim motors arm. Provide more range between full up and full down.

+1
    I currently have the VX HO. It’s sort of a horse apiece, but honestly if you are more bent on performance get the VXR. It will be a better performer. Cruise control is almost worthless, but no wake is really nice. If you are looking to take long rides especially with a passenger the cruiser is a little better.

+1
    My wife rides a 2018 FXHO with trim, cruise, and no wake mode. She uses the trim a lot more than the others for better ride in rough, change in fuel quantity, and if you put two on, it does help balance out the ski. Even though we may put 75 miles on in a ride, she seldom uses cruise so she can change speeds easy when needed. The throttle control is all throttle by wire and is very easy to hold with one finger for a long time compared to my older 2013 VXR which was part cable control then wire to throttle body. Also as you mentioned, probably easier to sell later but your decision on which features you need or like more.

+1
    my personal opinion id go with the vxr. i use trim every time i ride. it is extremely helpful when the waters choppy. also i would choose it for the little but extra performance.

Get the ski you like the ride and features of. VXR Not having cruise assist and no wake is a huge mistake. My GayP1800 feels naked only having RiDE after driving the FX around.

But the VX not having trim sucks too. That’s a big help between rough water and calm water speed improvements. You can see 2-4mph just between trim settings...

The graphics and hood is cheaper to upgrade compared to the trim or cruise assist features.

I would get the CRUISER HO and swap to the VX hood and decals or do a wrap. The VXR in my opinion looks better.
    Or get the VXR and deal without having the cruise assist but enjoy the trim, and upgrade to the cruiser seats...’

and yes Performance will be damn near identical. I think the VXR has a more aggressive accelerating tune but top end is the same. Once you do a flash it will be moot, and ride plate and grate are cheap and easy too change too.

Esentially just make a hybrid of the best both skis have to offer...

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Get the Vx Ho and add the trim ,ride plate, intake grate for about $800-1k.
    Yes it will be 30 pounds heavier than the VXR but if the weight/speed is a concern - You should be looking at SVHO's
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2870658

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Vxr hands down. The lighter hull with the improved ride plate and intake grate make it worth the price difference. Never have I had the desire for cruise on a ski. Maintaining a constant speed would get boring really fast. You can add a cruiser rear seat for about 200 bucks if you really want or like that feature

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Floon34 View Post
    Get the ski you like the ride and features of. VXR Not having cruise assist and no wake is a huge mistake. My GayP1800 feels naked only having RiDE after driving the FX around.

But the VX not having trim sucks too. That’s a big help between rough water and calm water speed improvements. You can see 2-4mph just between trim settings...

The graphics and hood is cheaper to upgrade compared to the trim or cruise assist features.

I would get the CRUISER HO and swap to the VX hood and decals or do a wrap. The VXR in my opinion looks better.
    Or get the VXR and deal without having the cruise assist but enjoy the trim, and upgrade to the cruiser seats...’

and yes Performance will be damn near identical. I think the VXR has a more aggressive accelerating tune but top end is the same. Once you do a flash it will be moot, and ride plate and grate are cheap and easy too change too.

Esentially just make a hybrid of the best both skis have to offer...
    What exactly is a GayP1800?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    What exactly is a GayP1800?
    Voice to text

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information