Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2019 hull damage insurance claim

19 fxsvho . Ive damaged the bottom of the hull on rocks . Insurance has been accepted . Damage was almost thru the hull (soft) right in the middle. 3 or 4 layers . They are only going for a patch and paint. Is this going to be a weak spot ? should i be fighting them now before repair ? Brand new ski with total insurance cover . I thought they would replace the hull not apoxyed ontop of nanoexel 2 . Resales going to be shit and its only 3months old . Thoughts?

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by solid concrete View Post
    19 fxsvho . Ive damaged the bottom of the hull on rocks . Insurance has been accepted . Damage was almost thru the hull (soft) right in the middle. 3 or 4 layers . They are only going for a patch and paint. Is this going to be a weak spot ? should i be fighting them now before repair ? Brand new ski with total insurance cover . I thought they would replace the hull not apoxyed ontop of nanoexel 2 . Resales going to be shit and its only 3months old . Thoughts?

Proper repair and paint and and nobody will ever know it’s been damaged. Just make sure whoever is doing the repair is experienced in nano repairs. If done incorrectly the repair will fail

+1
    My first thoughts are... to confirm that "you", your ins adjuster, and the proposed repair shop are all on (literally) the same page regarding the proper repair procedure/technique, and to verify this is in alignment with Yamaha Corp's official repair guide for NanoXcel2 SMC. I've seen Yamaha's published guide for regular SMC (hope they are not going off that one - unless Yamaha agrees). I'd contact your dealer to see if they either have a copy or can find one specifically on repairing the NanoXcel2 SMC. If there is any ambiguity or disparage that the repair is certified, or you can find a statement from Yamaha to the contrary, that would be your best opportunity to argue for the replacement hull.

+1
    The repair would be the strongest spot on the ski if the proper materials and paint is used. 100%

thanks mate good advise cheers

+1
    A quick cursory search turned up this quote on Yamaha's website:

"NanoXcel2 still has similar levels of strength and rigidity, and as with NanoXcel, repairs can be made."
    Link : https://global.yamaha-motor.com/busi...ogy/index.html

Again, as with my post earlier... just ensure the shop whom you are paired-up with follows the prescribed Xcel/Xcel2 repair methods & materials, and you'll be fine.
    ** Also, insure the shop deliberatly dries the void between the outer & inner hull liner before the repair is started.

Ok guys I have a huge delam on my 17 vxho nanoxcell make a long story short I have to pay out of pocket to fix it warranty isn't covering it and progressive isn't covering it so now that that is out of the way I have 2 people that can work with nano 1 wants to use west systems 205 the other who is highly recommended by my fiberglass supply company ( I'm in the auto body industry) is highly recommending using SMC vinlyester resin as opposed to polyester resin because the polyester will not stick any suggestions or input will help make my decision thank you Attachment 445554Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190228_165026.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	445555

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    The west systems is epoxy resin and that’s what you want to use

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    The west systems is epoxy resin and thatís what you want to use
    That seems to be the most popular but even a aqua p1 local racer is telling me about the smc vinylester resin along with the my supply company and their go to repair guy when I asked him why everyone is using epoxy his reply was " its bc everyone thinks that's the only thing that sticks to nano / smc "

+1
    Vinlyester - which is an epoxy derivative, does sound like the better resin (from what I'm reading). I have no experience first-hand yet. If this repair shop has a good rep, guarantees the repair, etc.... I'm not seeing a red-flag here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information