Purchasing a 2008 Yamaha VX Deluxe Jetski

I am about to purchase a second hand 2008 Yamaha VX Deluxe Jetski with 220 hours on it, regularly serviced and used only in fresh water. Is this getting a little high in hours and likely to be fraught with problems? I do have a good mechanical ability, but I don't want constant problems. Would the impeller need replacing soon or the motor be needing a rebuild?

+1
    200 hours on a 2008 is basically nothing. These things will go 2000 to 3000 hours

All that being said, any machine used there is never a guarantee. But there are some basic things you can do to reduce your risk:

- Ask the owner how it was maintained? Was it winterized annually?

- You should consider a compression test. They are easy to do. If you are able to water test it, please do so.

- Inspect rhe prop! Inspect prop clearance.

Frankly, a water test, a compression test, looking at the prop and making sure it hits top speed will avoid all the major issues.

what part of the country are you? What’s the price?

3. +1 by:

+1
    Yeah, "high hours" concerns usually only apply to 2-stroke ski's. That's is simply a well broken-in 4-stroke and can easily go 3-4 times that higher in hours, no problem.

Good advice above !! My inspection priorities are very similar :
    - Driveway test. Motor stable idle, sound clean, coolant (pissers) discharging.
    - Check oil (after warmed-up) to see of no water contamination.
    - Pulling (aka being able too) all the spark plugs to a) makes sure none are stuck/rusted in the head, b) overall health.
    - While they are out - compression test each cyl.
    - Jet pump impeller clearances to the outer wear ring.
    - Control cables all move freely.
    - Water/ride test. Don't forget to test/trip (intentionally chop throttle & hard turn) the OTS.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Yeah, "high hours" concerns usually only apply to 2-stroke ski's. That's is simply a well broken-in 4-stroke and can easily go 3-4 times that higher in hours, no problem.

Good advice above !! My inspection priorities are very similar :
    - Driveway test. Motor stable idle, sound clean, coolant (pissers) discharging.
    - Check oil (after warmed-up) to see of no water contamination.
    - Pulling (aka being able too) all the spark plugs to a) makes sure none are stuck/rusted in the head, b) overall health.
    - While they are out - compression test each cyl.
    - Jet pump impeller clearances to the outer wear ring.
    - Control cables all move freely.
    - Water/ride test. Don't forget to test/trip (intentionally chop throttle & hard turn) the OTS.
    Pwrfect! What he said.

Also, show up with cash, point out every little problem without being a prick and offer him a fair, albeit lower price

Thanks all...I was going to all that but the pressure was on a bit. The advertised price was $3,900 and I had first option. But somebody else offered $4,200 to take straight away. So we got there, ran it and took it. Figured it was a good price (other are around $6K). We used over the weekend and it went well. So hopefully all good.

+1
    Congrats, sounds like you did alright.
    Since you have mechanical know-how, the only other thing you might want to invest in, is a factory service manual... fleabay usually has YDS 1.33 cdrom kits that include the manual.

Thread Information