Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

+1
    Had another defective pump, so I dug it up to investigate further.

The pickup is on the bottom, the hole next to the black foot on the right side of the photo.

The is the piece that's in that side port. It wasn't glued in, so I was able to pop it out (damaged the port in the process, so don't try it on a good pump). As I mentioned above, it has to be some sort of blow-off valve that pops out under excessive fuel pressure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC010071.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	456324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC010078.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	456326  

+1
    If I have this figured out correctly, here's how the pump works:

1. Fuel is picked up from the port on bottom.

2. Top of pump cartridge (outlet port) is attached to a plastic port that goes into the sealed bottom chamber.

3. Fuel gets pumped into the sealed chamber and flows out of a port on top of the sealed chamber to the outlet port on top of the fuel pump assembly.

4. There is a second port at the bottom of the sealed chamber that connects to a hose that goes to the check valve.

5. That second port is plugged with that little plastic plug picture in the previous post. The plastic port will pop out under excessive fuel pressure.

+1
    [QUOTE=grumpy_steven;3052727]If I have this figured out correctly, here's how the pump works:

1. Fuel is picked up from the port on bottom.

2. Top of pump cartridge (outlet port) is attached to a plastic port that goes into the sealed bottom chamber.

3. Fuel gets pumped into the sealed chamber and flows out of a port on top of the sealed chamber to the outlet port on top of the fuel pump assembly.

4. There is a second port at the bottom of the sealed chamber that connects to a hose that goes to the check valve.

5. That second port is plugged with that little plastic plug picture in the previous post. The plastic port will pop out under excessive fuel pressure.

To grumpy_steven not all of that would be applicable, because most people who need a high volume fuel pump will have a external fuel pressure regulator that they will be using. Some of what you just outlined would not be used like the Plug For Excessive Fuel Pressure or the Check Valve that you had just noted. In the directions supplied, you are to remove those items and with the supplied drill bit, drill out the plastic for the new install.

Take Care
    C J

+1
    I'm referring to the stock design. Obviously, if you modify the pump it might work differently.

Here are some photos of the bottom section separated from the pump. They might help to understand my explanation of how the STOCK pump works.

Name:	PC010079.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	456327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC010080.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	456328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC010081.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	456329  

+1
    Broken down even further:

Name:	PC010082.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	456330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC010083.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	456331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC010084.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	456332   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC010085.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	456333  

+1
    Sorry..I thought the modified. Well then you are absolutely correct. By the way nice pictures to reference. Grumpy-steven do you like the idea of installing a fuel filter? Would you do it to your ski to catch anything before the injectors? Just curious if you would.

See all the junk inside? That's why I thought putting a filter in would be good, not because I know better then the engineers, but to avoid these people on this forum maybe some headaches. As you all can see by Grumpy-steven`s pictures there is a lot of rust and dirt particles that could be a problem.

Thank you for posting those pictures,those pictures tell a lot.

Take Care
    C J
    Last edited by cjk6119; 12-01-2019 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling

+1
    And finally, the cartridge comes out of the bottom section:

The only question that remains is what's inside the sealed container that houses the cartridge. Is it empty space? Or is there some sort of filtering material inside?

Name:	PC010086.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	456334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC010087.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	456335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC010088.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	456336  

+1
    I didn't cut open that sealed bottom section, but based on the weight of the part and how light shines through it, I'm pretty sure there's some sort of filter inside.

I've owned a 2006 SX230HO since new, plus at least 10 WaveRunners (VX, FX, 1800) with this fuel pump assembly. I've also done the maintenance work for 2 other boats and about another half dozen FX140/FXHO WaveRunners. None of them ever had a problem with clogged fuel injectors or any other dirty fuel related problems.

Unless it somehow restricts fuel flow, I can't see how it could hurt to add an inline filter. But based on my experience with these motors, and what I've learned from dissecting two of the pumps, I'm convinced that these pumps adequately filter the fuel.

Last edited by grumpy_steven; 12-01-2019 at 03:19 PM.

+1
    Grumpy-steven when I installed my high volume pump and saw all the crap that was in the pump area it made me think of why there should be a filter to catch this stuff and also seen in your pictures. The whole time that I worked on installing the new pump, all I did see but a sock filter attached to the bottom of the old pump. It would not take much dirt to clogg one of these injectors. It`s not like a car and we can pull over and walk to the nearest gas station, we are stuck out on the water. Now I don`t know of other skis in the Yamaha line that might have a filter. The one I worked on was a 2018 FX-SVHO

Good Talking to You
    C J

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    An external fuel filter can be added. Bosch/Injector Dynamics recommends a 4 micron filter for their injectors. I opted for a 10 micron Aeromotive fuel filter, part number 12345, inasmuch as Seadoo has the fuel sock and an internal fuel filter. The better the filter the higher the cost.
    All fuel for automotive use has dirt and water in it!
    Quote Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
    So what kind of speed gains can I expect from a fuel filter 3-4mph?

None....as its not about speed but to help keep injectors from plugging up and causing a lean condition which could result in piston damage....or if you prefer slower speeds!

11. +1 by:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information