Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    My guess is it's a plastic tank, also isn't exposed to dirt and particles as much as a land vehicle.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    The filter I am referring too is not a fuel sock.
    Found a pic.... reference the arrow pointing...

Ask Yamaha engineers what the micron rating is on this component before assuming the FIs are at risk.
    This design has been in the wild for a very long run, yet being known for 'clogged FIs' isn't even on the radar for the list of issues Yamahas are known for - so that little filter must be doing a decent job.
    That is not a filter it, I just a few hours ago put my pump assembly back in the fuel tank. What you are pointing out is the discharge port from high pressure bypass valve,if you look inside the fuel pump you will see two black fuel lines, one of the black lines leads to this point you call a filter. That line has to be disconnected and the bypass vale unsnapped and disconnected, if you are installing a Rvia High Volume fuel pump with static pressure like I just did.

Look at your manual it will show you it`s not a filter. The fuel filter or fuel sock as I`m calling it is in the inter section of the pump, that you will see two black corrugated fuel lines, one discharges at the point that you have indicated with an arrow.

Take care
    CJ
    Last edited by cjk6119; 02-15-2019 at 06:26 AM.

+1
    Roger on that possibly being the discharge port.... been a while since I had mine out, and I don't have my shop manual at the moment. I remember two ports on that lower body (one on the side "my arrow") an one open hole underneath (which I read to be the discharge line). Having read that backwards.... sure.

As far as the internal "sock" as you refer too, I was able to search for an aftermarket replacement --> SKU: HFP-S18-3 Quantum Fuel Pump Strainer. Again, no micron ratings in the specs.

Sounds like you are on a tirade that cars bikes take more filtering measures than you witness on these yamahas. I say chill-pill my friend. These are watercraft. I have to go back to the history of Yamahas not having clogged injector issues. Historically, sputtering and staling have largely been sparkplugs or air leaks with a delaminated intake dampener. Has clogged FIs happened - sure, probably to someone here and there, but to the point where an in-line should be standard on all Waverunners, and that the MFR has somehow short-changed us all. Here's how I look at this topic, right/wrong/indifferent, these are watercraft - not land vehicles. Dust dirt etc... are rarely present out on the waters as bodies of water are pretty good at "filtering" particulates, but even if dirty air, the tank's strict venting does not lend to air particulates to enter. The tank is plastic (as mentioned above) no rust particles. The only risk I see is "bad gas" - yet fueling pumps are required to have filters. So, is a so-called sock good enough?? I say for the vast majority of us - "absolutely" !
    If you live in India, 3rd-world, often fill-up on a dusty road, or borrow gas from your lawn mower, etc... by all-means install an added in-line piece-o-mind. But I'd stop-short of claims that Yahama failing to implement a super-micron in-line fuel filter, being the holy grail solution to the title of this thread.

+1
    No tirade here on this end, and your point is well taken TimeBandant.
    Thank so much for your input.

Take Care
    CJ

+1
    cjk6119, thank you, and welcome to the board! (in case you didn't get a proper welcome).
    Lot's of great info on here and helpful folks. I still continue learning here myself (or is it a mixture of also brushing off the 'ol rusty brain-cells). Point is ... dive-on-in - the water is warm ! Have fun !

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    Guess you know better then all the Yamaha, Kawasaki and Seadoo Engineers that design these things.
    Wahhhhhhhh that many engineers I know better than.Thank you Aquaholic6801 for recognizing that I just might know more then Yamaha Or Seadoo engineers. Maybe not the Seadoo engineers. Seadoo engineered two filters in their skis. Two are located in the fuel tank. One is the fuel sock, the second one we would need to drill out the rivets to get to the primary fuel filter. So, thank you for your recognition on the fuel filter idea and, Seadoo seems to think the same way as I do. Though they have not said this to me, as you so kindly did. What about Yamaha skis?

Video Reference on how to replace the fuel filter is on You-Tube 2004 Seadoo RXP fuel filter replacement.

Take Care
    C.J.
    Last edited by cjk6119; 11-30-2019 at 11:56 AM. Reason: sp

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    These Waverunners have no fuel filter except a fuel sock.
    Not having a fuel filter will lead to a lot of problems like...
    • Starting issues
    • Poor idle
    • Poor Performance
    • Engine does not reach full RPM
    • Increased fuel consumption
    • Rough engine performance
    • Surging and bucking under various throttle loads
    • Smoke from the tail pipe
    • Engine Knock or Detonation which can lead to catastrophic engine failure
    • Pollution
    . Stalling issues
    . Clogged injectors

If I can make a suggestion, it would be put a filter type like a K&N filter RF-1100
    for about 12.00. Would be a good investment in any ski that does not have one.
    An external fuel filter can be added. Bosch/Injector Dynamics recommends a 4 micron filter for their injectors. I opted for a 10 micron Aeromotive fuel filter, part number 12345, inasmuch as Seadoo has the fuel sock and an internal fuel filter. The better the filter the higher the cost.
    All fuel for automotive use has dirt and water in it!

+1
    So what kind of speed gains can I expect from a fuel filter 3-4mph?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
    So what kind of speed gains can I expect from a fuel filter 3-4mph?
    I really don't know, not into the top speed end of things. I like is the hard acceleration from a dead stop.

+1
    My picture is being used in this thread, so I'll also throw in my 2 cents.

I pulled one of these apart last week to see what makes it tick. I pulled apart the 3 sections but stopped short of doing a complete dissection. The bottom section is a glued-together/sealed unit, with the fuel pump cartridge enclosed in the unit. The pickup is on the bottom, with some sort of screen/filter covering it. The port that you are referencing in my photo is plugged with a piece of hard plastic... not sure if anything can go in or come out of that port. It covers some sort of chamber with an outlet hose that goes up to the check valve (the hose that turns 90-degrees in the photo. My guess is that it's some sort of blow-off valve that will pop off if the check valve gets clogged and the fuel pressure gets too high. A second hose comes out of the sealed portion of the bottom piece and goes up to the outlet tube. I didn't bother to cut open the sealed bottom part.

At the same time I dissected a Nissan fuel pump. It had a similar design with a sealed chamber at the bottom. The Kawasaki pumps are a simpler design that don't use a sealed chamber. They just have the pump cartridge on the outlet line and the check valve on the return line, at least on the DI/12F/15F pumps. The Ultra pumps have no return line.

As for knowing more than the Yamaha engineers, I'd say that maybe you know more than the Yamaha accountants. All too often when working on boats/skis/cars, I come across things that just don't make sense. For a few dollars more, they could have made something better or easier. If I had to guess, the engineers recommended a second inline filter, but the accountants shot down the idea because it saved $10 per unit. Sounds ridiculous, but if they sell a million units, they just added $10-million to the bottom line.
    Last edited by grumpy_steven; 12-01-2019 at 01:35 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information