Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Retainers question...

Is the general consensus on a svho motor I don't need retainers if I stay below 8700 rpms on deans stage 2 tune? Any help would be appreciated before spending 1k for riva retainers and install. I was hoping to just be a consistent 8400-8600 max rpm but don't want to risk it if that is still pushing the limits.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by battsy View Post
    Is the general consensus on a svho motor I don't need retainers if I stay below 8700 rpms on deans stage 2 tune? Any help would be appreciated before spending 1k for riva retainers and install. I was hoping to just be a consistent 8400-8600 max rpm but don't want to risk it if that is still pushing the limits.
    I do 9000 no retainers! No problems 7hs since that rev limiter

+1
    Ok thanks

+1
    Yes there are people out there and even racers that are running 8800-9100 no retainers, but thatís not a risk that I personally would take. Iíd freak out when Iíd look at my tac and see 87-8750 before retainers now with Iím relaxed knowing Iím good to go. Not sure what a new motor would cost, but you drop a valve and your going to find out. Good Luck

5. +1 by:

+1
    I guess I read your post wrong. If you stay below 8650 or so you should be good

+1
    Yeah, below 8700 I told dean to max it out at. Hoping for a consistent 8500 with gen3 intercooler. I am around 8300-8400 when its cool and calm water. Once heat fade kicks in it drops to around 8000-8100.

1k for retainers and install is a bit salty $349 less 10%=$314 that's almost $700 for labor it only took me and my buddy 2 hrs to install once the valve cover was off and that didn't take too long we barrow the valve tool...and we never did a Yamaha before...

+1
    4-5 hrs labor what I am getting from dealers and thats with me buying the knock off valve tool. 315 for retainers and around 500-600 labor and parts. So maybe closer to 800-850 total.

4-5 hrs labor what I am getting from dealers and thats with me buying the knock off valve tool. 315 for retainers and around 500-600 labor and parts. So maybe closer to 800-850 total.
    I say that's too much its a 2 hr job or less. its nice to have two people one to depress the spring while the other take out and replace the retainers and clips. maybe it would take longer if one person is doing it...you would think the dealer would have tools to work on a jetski motor?

11. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow jacket View Post
    I say that's too much its a 2 hr job or less. its nice to have two people one to depress the spring while the other take out and replace the retainers and clips. maybe it would take longer if one person is doing it...you would think the dealer would have tools to work on a jetski motor?
    Yes....two people for two hours would be 4 hours

I think dealers....boat or car dealers.....have limitations especially when it comes to real engine work. They all seem to use that dreaded “book”.

My wife’s Grand Cherokee needed a new battery. The book says 1 hour for labor because the battery is under the passenger seat. Took me 10 mins, but I am not tying up a technician, a bay, nor using a computer to save all the computer data and then re install it either.

Sorry to rant.....but sometimes you find a one of those unique dealers out there that seems to welcome performance mods and doesn’t mind doing them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information