Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    superair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Smith Lake, Alabama
    Posts
    531
    +1
    36

    titanuim retainer issue

    Last year at the end of the season I lost compression on cylinder 3. I just parked the craft until now. When I pulled the valve cover to check clearances I had 0 clearance on the second exhaust valve for that cylinder. After pulling the cams I could see the bucket sat about 3mm higher than the one next to it. I thought the locks were out of place but also the shim was stuck in the retainer. I pressurized the cylinder and with a small tap the shim popped loose. I could then see both locks were sitting lower in the retainer thus causing the retainer to sit higher. I pulled the retainer and could feel the surface was rough in the opening where the locks sit. I haven't measured the hole size yet but I know it is larger than the correct one. Has anyone else seen this issue? I used a small dowel as a gauge; it wouldn't fit through the correct retainer but does through the suspect one.
    I bought Aqua Sport retainers and now want to replace them all with the Riva ones.
    Does anyone have a set they want to sell?

    I also ordered new locks and a shim incase any of that has been damaged.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valve.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	444716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valve1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	444717  


  2. #2
    superair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Smith Lake, Alabama
    Posts
    531
    +1
    36
    I received the Riva kit yesterday and there is a big difference in this kit vs the Aqua Sport kit.
    Riva kit RY-19040-SRU
    Aqua Sport kit RY-10005
    The hole on the bottom are the same measurement 0.29 for both the good Aqua Sport and Riva. The one in question from cylinder 3 is 0.31. This explains the retainer sitting higher. The overall outer diameter is a lot larger for the Aqua Sport which is .99 vs Riva .89. Now I am wondering if I received the wrong Aqua Sport kit last year which would be RY-10006 for dual spring setup. It was packaged as the correct kit but on their site now the correct kit is anodized black and the dual spring kit is silver. I have silver retainers. Either way I now have the Riva kit installed and there definitely was something wrong with one of the Aqua Sport retainers.

  3. #3
    BLASTER 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    GRIDLEY, CA
    Posts
    592
    +1
    126
    You are so lucky that valve didn’t drop. I guess there was just enough to hold

  4. #4
    superair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Smith Lake, Alabama
    Posts
    531
    +1
    36
    I know; I was lucky. I thought about that as well. I was also about 15 miles from the dock when it started running rough. I thought at the time it was a plug issue.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    North Carolina on Jordan Lake
    Posts
    63
    +1
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by superair View Post
    I received the Riva kit yesterday and there is a big difference in this kit vs the Aqua Sport kit.
    Riva kit RY-19040-SRU
    Aqua Sport kit RY-10005
    The hole on the bottom are the same measurement 0.29 for both the good Aqua Sport and Riva. The one in question from cylinder 3 is 0.31. This explains the retainer sitting higher. The overall outer diameter is a lot larger for the Aqua Sport which is .99 vs Riva .89. Now I am wondering if I received the wrong Aqua Sport kit last year which would be RY-10006 for dual spring setup. It was packaged as the correct kit but on their site now the correct kit is anodized black and the dual spring kit is silver. I have silver retainers. Either way I now have the Riva kit installed and there definitely was something wrong with one of the Aqua Sport retainers.
    Hi Superair,

    Did you take the head off or left it on and used compress air for the install?
    How long does it take to do the job and do you have to shim for spring pressure?

    Thanks in advance,
    CJ

  6. #6
    superair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Smith Lake, Alabama
    Posts
    531
    +1
    36
    It's about a 3 hour job. You leave the head on. Run each cylinder to TDC and pressurize. Do one valve at a time and you should be able to use the shims that came from the same valve again.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    North Carolina on Jordan Lake
    Posts
    63
    +1
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by superair View Post
    It's about a 3 hour job. You leave the head on. Run each cylinder to TDC and pressurize. Do one valve at a time and you should be able to use the shims that came from the same valve again.
    Thank you Superair,

    I have a Level 6 that I am building, I don`t have the plug adaptor for an air line or the spring compressor to do a job like that. I guess I could barrow one from one of these Nascar Engine builders around here.

    Thanks again,
    Take care
    CJ

  8. #8
    txgp1300r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas , Texas
    Posts
    3,493
    +1
    205
    you can run as much nylon rope as the cylinder will hold , then use a breaker bar to snug the piston and rope against the head. this holds the valve very well in the absents of compressed air. I have done this when in a more primitive location. good luck

  9. +1 by:


  10. #9
    superair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Smith Lake, Alabama
    Posts
    531
    +1
    36
    You can take the schrader valve out of the end of a compression tester and use that hose or purchase a leak down tester both available at Harbor Freight for cheap. The spring compressor is available from eBay also for cheap. I would at least recommend a compression tester anyway to check after the work is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Thank you Superair,

    I have a Level 6 that I am building, I don`t have the plug adaptor for an air line or the spring compressor to do a job like that. I guess I could barrow one from one of these Nascar Engine builders around here.

    Thanks again,
    Take care
    CJ

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    North Carolina on Jordan Lake
    Posts
    63
    +1
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by superair View Post
    You can take the schrader valve out of the end of a compression tester and use that hose or purchase a leak down tester both available at Harbor Freight for cheap. The spring compressor is available from eBay also for cheap. I would at least recommend a compression tester anyway to check after the work is done.
    That is one great idea...Thanks, Today I am reinstalling my supercharger after R & R ing the compressor wheel with a 19 psi one last night. Again that was a good idea you gave me, some people are really ingenious.

    Than after that I have to do my quartile estimated tax's all well let me get my day started..

    Take Care Superair

    CJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Retainer install issue
    By superair in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-28-2018, 06:55 AM
  2. Cam retainer
    By oct6454 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-03-2013, 10:37 PM
  3. WTB PV Retainer
    By MR-1 X 2 in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 07:40 PM
  4. Retainer weights???
    By grantuk in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 01:20 PM
  5. needs 1 riva retainer
    By seadoor in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2008, 06:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •