Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

titanuim retainer issue

Last year at the end of the season I lost compression on cylinder 3. I just parked the craft until now. When I pulled the valve cover to check clearances I had 0 clearance on the second exhaust valve for that cylinder. After pulling the cams I could see the bucket sat about 3mm higher than the one next to it. I thought the locks were out of place but also the shim was stuck in the retainer. I pressurized the cylinder and with a small tap the shim popped loose. I could then see both locks were sitting lower in the retainer thus causing the retainer to sit higher. I pulled the retainer and could feel the surface was rough in the opening where the locks sit. I haven't measured the hole size yet but I know it is larger than the correct one. Has anyone else seen this issue? I used a small dowel as a gauge; it wouldn't fit through the correct retainer but does through the suspect one.
    I bought Aqua Sport retainers and now want to replace them all with the Riva ones.
    Does anyone have a set they want to sell?

I also ordered new locks and a shim incase any of that has been damaged.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valve.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	444716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valve1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	444717  

+1
    I received the Riva kit yesterday and there is a big difference in this kit vs the Aqua Sport kit.
    Riva kit RY-19040-SRU
    Aqua Sport kit RY-10005
    The hole on the bottom are the same measurement 0.29 for both the good Aqua Sport and Riva. The one in question from cylinder 3 is 0.31. This explains the retainer sitting higher. The overall outer diameter is a lot larger for the Aqua Sport which is .99 vs Riva .89. Now I am wondering if I received the wrong Aqua Sport kit last year which would be RY-10006 for dual spring setup. It was packaged as the correct kit but on their site now the correct kit is anodized black and the dual spring kit is silver. I have silver retainers. Either way I now have the Riva kit installed and there definitely was something wrong with one of the Aqua Sport retainers.

+1
    You are so lucky that valve didn’t drop. I guess there was just enough to hold

+1
    I know; I was lucky. I thought about that as well. I was also about 15 miles from the dock when it started running rough. I thought at the time it was a plug issue.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by superair View Post
    I received the Riva kit yesterday and there is a big difference in this kit vs the Aqua Sport kit.
    Riva kit RY-19040-SRU
    Aqua Sport kit RY-10005
    The hole on the bottom are the same measurement 0.29 for both the good Aqua Sport and Riva. The one in question from cylinder 3 is 0.31. This explains the retainer sitting higher. The overall outer diameter is a lot larger for the Aqua Sport which is .99 vs Riva .89. Now I am wondering if I received the wrong Aqua Sport kit last year which would be RY-10006 for dual spring setup. It was packaged as the correct kit but on their site now the correct kit is anodized black and the dual spring kit is silver. I have silver retainers. Either way I now have the Riva kit installed and there definitely was something wrong with one of the Aqua Sport retainers.
    Hi Superair,

Did you take the head off or left it on and used compress air for the install?
    How long does it take to do the job and do you have to shim for spring pressure?

Thanks in advance,
    CJ

+1
    It's about a 3 hour job. You leave the head on. Run each cylinder to TDC and pressurize. Do one valve at a time and you should be able to use the shims that came from the same valve again.

+1
    It's about a 3 hour job. You leave the head on. Run each cylinder to TDC and pressurize. Do one valve at a time and you should be able to use the shims that came from the same valve again.
    Thank you Superair,

I have a Level 6 that I am building, I don`t have the plug adaptor for an air line or the spring compressor to do a job like that. I guess I could barrow one from one of these Nascar Engine builders around here.

Thanks again,
    Take care
    CJ

+1
    you can run as much nylon rope as the cylinder will hold , then use a breaker bar to snug the piston and rope against the head. this holds the valve very well in the absents of compressed air. I have done this when in a more primitive location. good luck

9. +1 by:

+1
    You can take the schrader valve out of the end of a compression tester and use that hose or purchase a leak down tester both available at Harbor Freight for cheap. The spring compressor is available from eBay also for cheap. I would at least recommend a compression tester anyway to check after the work is done.

Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Thank you Superair,

I have a Level 6 that I am building, I don`t have the plug adaptor for an air line or the spring compressor to do a job like that. I guess I could barrow one from one of these Nascar Engine builders around here.

Thanks again,
    Take care
    CJ

+1
    You can take the schrader valve out of the end of a compression tester and use that hose or purchase a leak down tester both available at Harbor Freight for cheap. The spring compressor is available from eBay also for cheap. I would at least recommend a compression tester anyway to check after the work is done.
    That is one great idea...Thanks, Today I am reinstalling my supercharger after R & R ing the compressor wheel with a 19 psi one last night. Again that was a good idea you gave me, some people are really ingenious.

Than after that I have to do my quartile estimated tax's all well let me get my day started..

Take Care Superair

CJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information