Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

900 stx no power to ignition

i have a 1997 kawasaki 900 stx i bought it the guy said he couldnt start it .i opened up the cdi box and it had some cut wire ..i have a 2004 900 harness with the stator i swapped out the 97 stator put the 2004 ,also put the whole harness of the 2004 ..i tried starting it it fired up once after i wiggles some wires in the box..it fired up perfect ..i gave it a few minutes when i went to start it noting no type of power so i ended up buying a new starter relay for it .installed it and nothing ..if i bridge the starter solinoid it will crank but is not getting spark as well ..can you guys relate to this ??

+1
    bumppp hoping someone can chime in

+1
    How did you swap the harnesses? The ignitor plugs aren't at all similar. Did you change those, too?

Hard to tell what's wrong when you have cut wires and start switching stuff around between models, etc.

+1
    yea i switched the stator everything to an 04 harness .. even the stator so is plug and play everything ..i dont not want to put the other harness on since most likely i have to take whole engine out again just to change the stator

+1
    the only thing i have cut and spliced is the new starter relay ..since the old one had one solid red wire and the new one has two red with while lines in them .i spliced them together and connected it to the red one ..and yellow and red wire to the y\r one .also ground to the ground post .

+1
    If it started after wiggling wires, you prob. have a bad connection or break in a wire somewhere. I would also test the lanyard switch to make sure it's working. I've also heard of those relays having the wire colors reversed. Also check all the grounds.

+1
    What you mean the color reversed ? And I have 4 landyards nothing.can it be the the switch to turn on and off the ignition?

+1
    I had absolute hell trying to troubleshoot an 1100 2 years ago. The pushbutton start switch was intermittent, the orange master switch was intermittent, and a solder joint on the bottom of the fuse block was broken.

Nobody said it was easy...

+1
    The contacts inside the lanyard switch assy can get corroded. Yes it could be the key switch. It could be lots of things. A volt/ohm meter should be your best friend right now so you can test and see what is getting voltage. Did you get the grounds inside the electrical box tight ?

+1
    yea all the wires for the ground are good and tight ..i havnt gotten another on and off switch .so i can try with . this week ill be working on it ill let you guys know .and like i said i switched around 4 lanyard switches so i can rule that one out ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information