Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battery relocate project, Polaris 750 slt, with pics.

I've taken so much helpful info. from this site, I can't help but feel I need to give something back. So I thought I would share my battery relocate project. If you have the E-box/battery set up blues as I do, This project will give you one way to ease your pain. I will try to keep it short and to the point. This project took around 3 hours start to finish and cost me ZERO dollars. I had everything I needed laying around the garage. I suggest using aluminum and You will need 6 ft. of 1" x 1" x 1/8" architectural angle.(architectural angle has a sharp inside 90* angle) You will need 2 ft. of 1" x 1" x 1/8" flat stock.(LOWES) 6 stainless button head 1/4" bolts 1" long and 8 grade five or grade eight 1/4" bolts 1" long, & all the needed washers and nuts. We are building a battery tray that goes from one side of the hull to the other, and is supported by 2 pieces of angle that are mounted to sides of the hull. To start, cut 2 pieces of angle 12" long. These will be mounted to the hull with the stainless bolts. The sides of the hull rises at an angle and these pieces will need bent at a tighter angle so that when mounted they will provide a level surface from side to side, to mount the cross pieces. I did mine in a vise. (see pics for approximate angle).Once you get the angle correct, make a gasket to go behind the bracket and against the hull. You can use gasket material or cork or old innertube, I used 1/8 thick rubber. This gasket will ease the pressure on the fiberglass, where the bracket and hull don't sit perfectly flat against each other. Next, make an opposing bracket out of the flat stock for the outside of the hull.(giant washer) Use marine sealant on the backside of this bracket and the bolts. These two brackets will essentially pinch the fiberglass hull safely. NEXT, cut two pieces of angle at the proper length to use as cross supports. DO NOT place these cross supports over the grease fittings on your drive shaft, stagger accordingly. and bolt in place. NEXT, cut two short 4" pieces to mount on the cross pieces thus forming your battery box tray. I made my tray to support the factory plastic battery tray. Not the battery. LASTLY I cut 2 pieces of treated 2" x 6" lumber for the E-box mount. First piece was cut to snugly fit the indentation in the bottom of the hull floor(original battery location) and the 2nd piece was cut to fit the indentation on the bottom of the E-box. The 2 pieces were then glued and screwed togather and then painted with rubberized undercoating. This blocking will keep the E-box off the hull floor out of any small amount of water that may get in and will make a super secure way to mount the E-box. I used the 2 original hold down straps to secure the E-box, I simply tied a knot in the straps near the buckle to shorten them up a bit. Next, Install the battery and secure with strap and project is complete. The battery is now much easier to remove/replace and charge and the constant threat of grounding out the E-box is gone. Well worth the time and effort.... As a side note, all of the aluminum can be cut easily with a miter saw with a 60 tooth carbide tip blade mounted in the proper direction of travel, or a cut off wheel on a 4" angle grinder...All holes can be drilled one size bigger to allow for easy assembly... I chose to polish my aluminum with a buffer, but you can get a nice look by just using an SOS pad or you can paint the aluminum, but be sure to use self etching primer or the paint wont stick. Take your time, make good clean cuts and measurements and drill accurate holes, and use the red thread locktite... Do not over tighten the bolts thru the hull. Super snug with thread lock in sufficient.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet ski battry box 045.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	444705   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet ski battry box 020.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	444698   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet ski battry box 021.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	444699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet ski battry box 025.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	444700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet ski battry box 028.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	444701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet ski battry box 033.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	444702  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet ski battry box 031.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	444703   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet ski battry box 035.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	444704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet ski battry box 018.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	444706  

A few more pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet ski battery 005.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	444711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet ski battery 007.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	444710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski bat 01 009.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	444709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski bat 01 001.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	444707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet ski battry box 035.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	444712   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski bat 01 003.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	444708  

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I think it would have been better to leave the battery in it’s stock location and make a different mounting for the electric box

+1
    I agree with mr gp, I am in the same boat I don’t like my e box on the batt. So I’m moving the e box not the battery
    im looking at pri mix and put the e box where the oil tank is

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey View Post
    A few more pics.
    Tip: Put a second strap on the battery. You do not want a single strap failure to allow the battery to get loose inside the hull.

Or perhaps install an actual battery hold down clamp. Not sure what model/year Polaris might have had a suitable bolt down clamp, but other PWC brands and models probably did/do.

I also thought of that, and it is certainly a viable option. Given the limited length of all the wire's in & out of the e-box, no matter where I held the box as a potential mounting spot, the brackets to support it would have hampered easy access to the battery. Thus far, owning this ski, I have to put my e-box on the low maintenance item list. But that battery can't hide from me any longer... I realize the frankenstein LOOK that my project creates is not for everyone, but I gave up on look's many years ago. These days I go for simplicity, Keeps me from throwing my tool's across the garage.. Best Regards

I think your right, a better hold down strap is needed..Thanks

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Use a good agm battery and install a charge pigtail to it. You may never have to remove the battery again until it’s time to be replaced. Or at worst once in the fall when you put away the ski

I like that idea, I think it may have been one of your old threads I read about the pig-tail and the plug was left just under the seat. but I also read a warning about killing the stator by charging with the battery terminals connected. I do ride enough to keep it charged thru the summer but I do put it in and out for fall & summer which is why I did the relocate..I was tired of the fight.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey View Post
    I also thought of that, and it is certainly a viable option. Given the limited length of all the wire's in & out of the e-box, no matter where I held the box as a potential mounting spot, the brackets to support it would have hampered easy access to the battery. Thus far, owning this ski, I have to put my e-box on the low maintenance item list. But that battery can't hide from me any longer... I realize the frankenstein LOOK that my project creates is not for everyone, but I gave up on look's many years ago. These days I go for simplicity, Keeps me from throwing my tool's across the garage.. Best Regards
    Lol make sure it’s not your 10mm or 12 mm it’s more frustrating looking for the tools you tossed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information