97 700 SLT No Spark after Batt. short

I know no one wants to read another post like this and I have read Damn near everyone. Anyhow Elec. box shorted across Batt terminals somehow during season startup in the driveway. It was running then died. I quick fixed the issue but the batt. was toast. Replaced with new one and no spark. It is a updated cdi 449 and stator, but the coil pack appear to be old style. I ran tests on cdi 8.5 output to stator while cranking. Ohmed out the stator all appear to be in specs fine. Hall effect sensors hit correctly. 5.5 ohms, no shorts, .1 neg to ground. 9volt batt. test yielded no spark only correct ohm readings. Coil pack I am unsure about. Primary side tested fine Secondary side yielded 13k ohms between plug wires with caps. On the primary side should the Blk/white wire be cap off??? only leaving bl/green and bl/yellow attached to cdi? Sorry just ready to burn this thing to the ground.

+1
    Yeah, testing this stuff the first time is frustrating, when your done-looking back it seems easier.
    Many times when the battery shorts out the black ground wire to the stator gets melted. Is it OK ?

You need to test the battery cranking volts first. Testing at red/pur cdi wire is best.

Need to specify which wire has 8.5 volts ?

Does the coil have 2 wires or 4 wires. 2 completely different ways to test the coils.
    All small coil wires should be disconnected when measuring ohms.

Batt. has 12.4 cranking, Blk ground for stator fine. I got 8.5 on brown from cdi while cranking. the coil is a 4 wire. I got a used cdi and two wire coil coming. I took flywheel off and checked stator wires
    Last edited by Crunch97; 02-12-2019 at 07:11 PM.

+1
    It's likely the cdi, they don't like direct shorts.

+1
    12.4 while cranking is awful high. Are you using a good DVOM meter to test that ?

I would be changing the 4 wire coil, we have seen several damaged CDI with that wiring setup.
    But the secondary is measured from plug wire to black wire.

Ok i got it. turns out the cdi was bad. Ordered a used cdi 449 black modded. It fired right up.. I left the four wire intact But I do have a two one that came with the cdi should I change it out or leave well enough along??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    12.4 while cranking is awful high. Are you using a good DVOM meter to test that ?

I would be changing the 4 wire coil, we have seen several damaged CDI with that wiring setup.
    ?

Thread Information