Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Running Seadoo out of the water with no hose, received exhaust temperature warning

I was warming up my battery because I had one die when I left it alone for too long. So while I was sitting on my Seadoo in my driveway listening to it running, I decided to rev it. I pushed it to 8k rpm and received the exhaust over heat warning.

Before, I would leave my Seadoo on idle and not get any warning. I never ran it more than 1-2 minutes either. Now I got a warning with 1 minute of running because of the high rev. Nothing looks melted, but it does have a something burned smell in the garage. Very light smell, nothing too strong.

Should I be concerned any hose burned from inside?

I turned it off as soon as warning came on. I imagine the sensor is designed to give you a warning when it over heats and there is a threshold before any damage is done. Otherwise, what is the point of the sensor.

I just turned my Seadoo on again for 10-20 seconds. No overheat warning, however I got a check engine light on...

Uhhhh is it on because it caused an over heat warning or could there be some kinda issue? I still have to bring my Seadoo in for my previous issue so I guess dealer will check. Engine should not have any issues from over heating because it is cooled separately and only exhaust needs water.

+1
    1 or 2 minutes without hose connected.....
    You ever studied exhaust system. It has al kinda rubber hoses and a plastic resonator.

Check on display which faultcode you have

4. +1 by:

+1
    "Warming up my battery?" what? Either a battery will start it or it won't. Starting it and running for 2 min will do nothing for the battery, it cannot charge what you took out of it to start it. Either get a battery tender or sell your ski's

If you want to know if it will start your ski, fine, start it, idle for 10 sec then shut if off. then off to the lake you go.

6. +1 by:

+1
    ....and is not a very good practice to rev a cold engine that high....

+1
    Carbon ring probably overheated and is now damaged this needs to be checked before the next ride or it could take on water and sink the ski.

9. +1 by:

+1
    If you really ran your ski for 1-2 minutes without water it's time to go over "Owning a jetski 101" manual.

The burning smell is a hint you f'ed up. Time to remove and inspect every component of the exhaust system after the exhaust manifold. Exhaust manifold gets too hot to touch after about 10 seconds without water at idle, you can only imagine how hot things got in your case.

11. +1 by:

+1

13. +1 by:

haha I think you guys are over reacting here...

I think I confused that slight burning smell for some kinda other smell because it is still there. and only at the rear not when I open the engine bay. As far as the carbon ring goes, I find it hard to believe this plastic thing would burn up that quickly. Otherwise, what is the point of the sensor? I never had any temperature warnings running this thing for 1-2 minutes. I only got a temperature warning this time right as I revved it very high.

I touched the exhaust right after to see how hot it was and I could touch it for 3-4 seconds with my finger... so it wasn't that hot as you guys are imagining.

reminds me of that time I was at the opposite side of the lake and my fuel gauge began warning of low fuel. I had 3 bars blinking... so I was like whatever. Then it went to 1 bar blinking in like 5 minutes. I began having a panic attack. I flagged down some people and traded numbers because I thought my fuel was gone. Then when I finally refueled, I had 3 gallons left. I have a feeling this Seadoo is designed to be over sensitive. In reality, I am sure the carbon ring is fine.

I am having a pump installed for the rear plastic hose intake I snapped off while trying to insert a hose adjustment. I am more worried about that randomly breaking again than the carbon ring. Nothing looks out of the ordinary with any of the rubber seals from the outside. The coolant barely moved so the engine was fine the whole time.

I think you guys are thinking of people who run another 10 minutes on a temperature warning light and then suffer catastrophic over heating.

Things may not be a drastic, but you are being warned of potential worst case scenarios.

Still, you should read over the owners manual and pick up some better habits. As mentioned a Battery Tender is your solution to a good starting unit. You could start it short, but your description pushed the limits of generally acceptable practice.

Now you should still have your exhaust parts reviewed when you send it to the dealer, learn the importance of water to your system, and be more judicious in your out of the water use. Just take the advice here and learn some. I'd say no harm done, but we can't be sure of that, so no harm in learning.

16. +1 by:

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information