Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    +1
    Your high exhaust temp warning comes on at 230 degrees F. With water injecting into the exhaust it is very hard for it to get above boiling (212F) because of the tremendous energy absorbed by water. When you revved it to 8,000 rpm it could easily exceed 500 degrees without water. That can damage your exhaust sensor and other parts of the exhaust. Check the sensor at room temp and it should read between 2280 and 2736 ohms. Otherwise you should replace it. I would check the inside of all rubber and plastic parts of the exhaust for damage.

As for the battery. My riding season is June through September. The rest of the time they are in storage. Before using a battery tender I would generally need to replace the batteries annually. Now since the battery tender regular usage, this season will be year 5 on the same batteries. Well worth the investment.

2. +1 by:

Running Seadoo out of the water with no hose, received exhaust temperature warning

1. Get a battery maintainer.
    2. The sensor is for the exhaust not the carbon ring.
    3. The plastic thing is carbon. Plastic would melt in seconds.
    4. If the resonator started to melt inside you would smell it where the exhaust exits not under the seat.
    5. 10 seconds max without hose 2 mins max with it.
    6. Never rev an engine with no load on it especially a cold one.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Which part of exhaust did you check for hotness? Idle exhaust gas temperature is about 700C/1300F and your 8k blip spiked that to well over 800C/1400F hot hot hot.

Your new check engine light probably means it got so hot it may have killed the temperature sensor in the waterbox. That sensor has a max reading range of 130C and a bunch of failsafe margin to withstand short spikes, you must have crossed it.

6. +1 by:

+1
    You reved that thing for almost 2 minutes and it was not even warm to the touch ah yeah ok, I read this post and thought it was April already .

8. +1 by:

+1
    Your carbon ring is probably fried... I run my ski on the hose for 30seconds MAX because the carbon seal doesn’t have any water cooling it when it’s running on the hose.
    NEVER run the ski for any longer than a few seconds without the hose... and no more than 30 seconds on the hose.. any longer is not nesessary.

10. +1 by:

+1
    I’ll bet you’ll be the guy back on here in the summer bashing seadoo because your ski sunk...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Which part of exhaust did you check for hotness? Idle exhaust gas temperature is about 700C/1300F and your 8k blip spiked that to well over 800C/1400F hot hot hot.

Your new check engine light probably means it got so hot it may have killed the temperature sensor in the waterbox. That sensor has a max reading range of 130C and a bunch of failsafe margin to withstand short spikes, you must have crossed it.

I don't think so. 800c gas is like walking into lava. I don't think the metal in the exhaust would even endure that kinda heat. Are you sure your numbers are even remotely accurate? Where in the owners manual does it say that?

Second of all, the temperature sensor worked after and still read it as hot 30 minutes later. This morning the sensor did not come on, only check engine.

I am telling you, I literally stuck my face in the engine bay 10 seconds after it gave me the warning... it was warm, it was not hot at all. I could touch the metal exhaust with my fingers and endure 3-4 seconds. My hot water heater does worse heat if I turn my heater on hot.

I appreciate the over dramatic concerns, but I really doubt there is any damage to the plastic in the exhaust. You guys are missing the point of the temperature sensor. If your car engine goes HOT and your car sensor goes into the red, guess what??? you probably drive another minute with no damage. I was barely a few seconds off the beep for complete shutdown.

Now I know where the limit is, I won't push it again. But this idea that everything melted is fucking retarded.

+1
    "I’ll bet you’ll be the guy back on here in the summer bashing seadoo because your ski sunk..."

I am gonna take it out in a few weeks in the bay. I live in SF., I moved back from Vegas. If it sinks, I'll swim back to shore and buy a new one. There will be no bashing. I'm more worried about a dumb ass mechanic opening up my carbon ring and failing to replace some small part rather than it melting.

+1
    plastic begins to melt at around 200 degrees by the way. That's insanely hot! I think half of the commentators here are on drugs.

200 degrees of sustained heat.... I don't think so from 1 8k rpm blip.

+1
    The alarm would still go on whether you reved it or not. May be a few seconds later tho.
    If you want to charge the batery without a charger the only way is at the ramp on the trailer and the pump in the water idling for more than half an hour. Otherwise u r just trying to destroy her.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information