Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yamaha SUV 1200 shutting off at high rpm

Hello guys, This is my first thread.

Please let me know if i am posting in the wrong forum. I need some help with finding out why my 2004 SUV 1200 waverunner isnt running smooth. I cant find out the hours, because its currently not running, but ill happily try to post any information you guys request. Maybe once the engine starts, again, ill be able to quickly look that up on the dash board. Anyways, the waverunner has been laying in my parents garage for about 2 months since it was last used. My parents just gave it to me and said its been running fine for them. When i first started it, it took quite a bit of time before i could get the engine to start, which is the normal process for when we first start it up. Once i got the engine warm, i took it out to the local river and ran it for about 15-20 minutes not going more than 30 miles per hour. It sounded normal as far as i could tell. When we got into the main channel, i went full throttle and in a few seconds the engine sputtered to a stop. I was able to start it right back up and as soon as i went high throttle, the engine would sputter until it went off. I was able to keep the engine from shutting off with a few quick pulls of the trigger, but usually it would soon turn off. I felt like the waverunner wasnt starting as easily, so I was only daring enough keep it at minimum wake all the way to the ramp, but i had to pull the trigger just a bit to prevent it from stalling.

The first thing i did was change all of the spark plugs, then i drained all the old gas and put in a bottle of seafoam with a full tank of nonethanol fuel. I was able to siphon out most of the gasoline trough the fuel pump opening at the top of the gas tank. My father said that the gasoline in the tank was at least a year old. After making these changes, i charged the battery full and tested how easily it would start and made sure that it would not stall out when i put more throttle all while running water through the hose connector. It seemed to be running pretty well, so i took it out for a test run, and the engine ended up doing the exact same thing the next morning on the water, and sputtered then stalled out after putting more throttle. This time, i was running it for less than 10 minutes.

Next, i replaced the battery. After fully charging the battery, the engine seemed to be right where it was prior, so i took it for another test run. The engine wasnt idling great, but seemed to go full throttle without any problem for about 10 minutes. But that didnt last long. Soon enough, the engine had a bit of a hiccup and started to sputter back down. The difference now is that it seems that this battery has run out of juice even quicker. I was only able to get the engine running one more time, but it quickly sputtered down to a stall. After being unsuccessful starting the engine i would have to wait about 10 minutes before the engine would almost start, but I couldnt get it to fully start again. I also noticed that i would have to keep the choke at 50%-100% in order for it to stay on, but the engine wouldnt stay on for long. Soon enough, it wouldnt even make a sound when i pushed the button, so i just got to paddling home. By the time i got the waverunner back on the trailer i was able to get it barely started, and the engine sounded very rough and soon enough just stalled. Once i got home, i put the battery on the charger and after a couple hours, tried to turn it on to flush out the saltwater, but the engine would just make a single thud and not start. I just put the waverunner away and let it charge for a couple more hours and now the engine does absolutely nothing when i click the start button. Even the dashboard doesnt light.

Ive been reading about the stator, fuel pump, and carburetor, and they all sound like they could be my issue, so im asking for a little guidance. I usually have no problem replacing parts, its just difficult for me to pin point what needs to be fixed.

Can someone please point me in the right direct for troubleshooting this problem? Thank you very much!

+1
    Do a compression test. You may have stuck a piston and might need a top end rebuild.

+1
    Sounds like you may have a couple of problems. The hard starting is likely due to bad fuel and plugged up carbs.

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the oil lines fell off, causing the final failure. Remove the seat and look for oil pooling under the engine.

+1

Yamaha SUV 1200 shutting off at high rpm

I was thinking “fuel problem” all the way until it wouldn’t roll over. Actually, I am still thinking file but We have to solve the no-crank first.

I think I would pull the plugs and see if it will crank. I have no clue on why the dash won’t light.

After rereading your post, do you think you could have gotten any water in the engine when you had it on the hose? If this happened, time is not on your side, pull the plugs and crank it!! Don’t look in the piston holes as water might shoot out.

Thank you guys for such a quick reply

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Do a compression test. You may have stuck a piston and might need a top end rebuild.
    I will definitely add this to my to do list. Hopefully, the single thud was happening because I needed to give the battery more of a charge. Maybe if I can get some power the waverunner, it wont make this sound anymore. If that's what you were thinking? IDK if there were other findings that suggest a stuck piston.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Sounds like you may have a couple of problems. The hard starting is likely due to bad fuel and plugged up carbs.

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the oil lines fell off, causing the final failure. Remove the seat and look for oil pooling under the engine.
    I was really hoping it was just a simple matter of bad fuel, which seemed to help pretty quickly once I used nonethanol fuel. Prior to my last test run, I felt like it was pretty easy to get the engine running and idling. Im thinking that the carbs are due for a rebuild anyways, I would just like to solve this particular issue, before I do maintenance measures. I guess its hard for me to believe that all three carburetors that are failing or causing this issue, but it the carburetor my initial thought.

I cant see or feel any oil thats collecting below the engine. Im not 100% sure when the oil lines leads but i see a tube from the bottom of the oil tank going to something next to the throttle latch. It looks like it has three tubes that go up to the air intake above the carburetors. Some of those lines look like they are going back to the top of the oil tank too. Not sure if there would be additional oil lines?

Quote Originally Posted by DealsGapCobra View Post
    I was thinking “fuel problem” all the way until it wouldn’t roll over. Actually, I am still thinking file but We have to solve the no-crank first.

I think I would pull the plugs and see if it will crank. I have no clue on why the dash won’t light.

After rereading your post, do you think you could have gotten any water in the engine when you had it on the hose? If this happened, time is not on your side, pull the plugs and crank it!! Don’t look in the piston holes as water might shoot out.
    Youre totally right about figuring out why it just randomly stopped starting. On my way to work, I realized that when I changed my spark and drained the fuel, I removed the carbs in order to decide if I wanted to do a rebuild. Last night, I noticed that I forgot to attach one of the grounding wire that goes from a bolt at the top of the flywheel case (? near the same throttle latch where the oil lines meet) to the up to a support bracket near the block. The bracket goes between the air intake and the carburetors and attaches to the front and back of the block. Since I reattached that wire, the engine started doing this weird no power thing. i tried removing that wire and then cleaning off the area it was attached to, but that didnt make any changes. Im not sure why the engine would run during my last test run even though it was detached. Seems to me that the waverunner isnt getting any power. dunno if the starter is dead. It just seems weird. I was able to get the word "start" appear on the right dash window when i pressed the mode button.

Water from a hose has never been on while the engine wasn’t running. Would this be a problem if I was cranking the engine while it was floating on water?

Is it possible that some sort of fuse was blown that is related to ignition?

Nevermind, i just checked the main fuse under the cap and the spare is still there and the fuse looks great. Maybe ill disassemble the start assembly for the key next.
    Last edited by Sprinting; 02-11-2019 at 06:35 PM.

+1
    My thoughts are you have a gummed up carb or carbs, causing it to run lean at WOT, and causing a lean piston seize. If it fails a compression test, that’ll be a clue towards that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    My thoughts are you have a gummed up carb or carbs, causing it to run lean at WOT, and causing a lean piston seize. If it fails a compression test, that’ll be a clue towards that.
    I plan to rent one from the local auto parts once I can get the engine to turn over. I replaced the starter relay last night and I can hear the starter engaging, but the engine won’t go much further than a single thud. It was just buzzing from the control box where the relay is when the battery was low charge.

If youre thinking it’s a seized engine, I’ve read that I should try to turn the pto. I looked to the back where the axle comes out the bottom part of the hull. There’s a plastic cover that’s held on by two bolts on the engine side and it looks like a rubber piece is slipped into a groove on the other side. I’ll see if I can get it off and find a way to turn this engine. I know I’m supposed to turn is counter-clockwise but is that facing the front or facing the back?

+1
    Reach under the plastic cover to turn motor by hand (plugs need to be out to be able to do this), doesn't matter on a 2-stroke which way you manually turn the crankshaft.
    Don't over think it in speculation:

Charge battery to full.
    Pull plugs and attempt a compression test. (assuming it turns over freely)
    If it wont spin freely w plugs out you have a piston issue, time to pull the motor and get wrenching.
    If it turns over freely by hand but not w starter: electrical issue.
    If compression is good, remove carbs and rebuild them, go through the fuel system from the tank back (inspect fuel pickup, vent check valve, fuel selector, all fuel lines).
    Rebuild carbs regardless, even if you are rebuilding top end as well.

Just my 2 cents Let us know what you find!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information