Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boat Show this Week...Is there a Strategy for buying new?

Strategy for buying 2019 FX SVHO?
    I've read all the Greenhulk posts regarding 2019 models and more. The FX is going to be a lake and the lake is frozen so no rush for delivery. I made a appointment for this Tuesday with the dealer at the show. This is for the Boston boat show. The ski will be registered in Maine. The Portland ME boat show is at the end of this month. The same dealer is at both shows. I wonder if the same price is offered at both shows?

The dealer doesn't know this yet but I launch my 22' boat at his ramp so the ski will be will be on the same lake that the dealer has his marina. What about make a deal for ski winterization, maintenance, etc?? I don't think I'm interested in extend warranty for the lake. Comments appreciated.

+1
    I just bought one...and have boat boats at 3 of the last 5 shows. Frankly, there is generally not much negotiation at the shows with these. Certain things like setup and things like that may be negotiable. Trailers? But frankly, there is not much room on those anyway. Also....for $200 you can get three more years of warranty right now because that’s what the rebate is worth if you don’t take the warranty.

Water Dr thanks for the reply. Yes I know I been following your posts, and you are exactly correct.... there's nothing to leverage. The price they give you is the price you get....take it or leave it. However, when I was looking at boat boats (not ski's) after the boat show closed the a dealer would call me up to sweeten the negotiated deal, but I can't depend on that call back here.

I think I'm going to Boston show and show interest, and then buy the ski in Portland ME show where the ski will be registered. They can deliver the ski in the water. I already have a tandem trailer.

What about ski options? I know the limited has fold away cleats. This ski may have to share a mooring with my boat during the summer on occasion.

+1
    If you're looking for a bargain, ask if they have any leftover 2018s.

This is my experience.

FX HO (not SVHO). MSRP, $13,999. Show price was 13,500, $200 cover, $1200 Triton trailer.

From the show floor, I called the local dealer (the one at the show was farther) and told them to beat it. Ended up getting all of it for $15k out the door for the Ski, trailer, and cover (5.1% tax rate). They did have a bogus doc fee in there, but all I care about is the out the door price.

I disagree with the comment that boat show pricing is final. I was able to get $500+ off from that.

The final breakdown (pre-tax):
    $12,839 for the ski
    $200 for the cover
    $186.50 doc fee
    $1100 triton trailer

Hope that helps you figure out what you should be shooting for. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks ytechie. That's exactly the type of info I was looking for. I think I take some Yamaha dealer #'s with me, but I refuse to make a deal first visit.

Yes I'll let you know. ...I even made a appointment for Tuesday. I can buy the ski tax free in NH but when I go to register BANG

+1
    Ok...let me give you guys some more background on what I have learned over the years.

IMO, board shows are the absolute best time to match up a good deal with even better selection. Volume dealers I think use this team to make deals and they want to keep their offers fixed. In the past, four yamaha dealers have been at our show. Now there are only two. The two other guys used to deal but their prices were higher and never could match the volume guys. They no longer show up.

my dealer claims to have sold over a 100 units and they always say that the deal must be signed at the show or you miss out. Prices are fixed and they don’t budge.

But what does happen is that deals always leak over into the following few weeks and are usually good until the end of the following month. But inventory goes to crap on some models. Also another thing happens...people back out. Life happens, wives get pissed....who knows and a sometimes models seem to pop back up again. These guys do what they can to cement everything by mid April and after that, the product stops moving. If sales are slower than expected, you might see deals get a little better. Otherwise, prices go up.

i bought a new machine in June one time. Dealer wanted it gone and were offering free trailers.

Rebates change too. Manufacturers adjust based on sales which is always a hard thing to predict.

Yes I agree and makes sense. The next issue is financing. I assume cash is best but sometimes Yamaha, or whatever the dealer offers, may make sense to get rebates. The $200 to extend the warranty 3 years appears to be a deal but this ski is only used weekends for 4 or 5 months a year.

https://www.yamahawaverunners.com/offers/

+1
    My thoughts....in general, $200 for a rebate is a no brainer. Always helps if you have to sell.

As a general rule, its better for the dealer to think you are financing and then use cash. That used to be the old mantra especially with cars but I don’t think that matters so much anymore unless it impacts a rebate. Water craft loans are usually higher than car loans which makes cash better. But not everyone has cash of course. In all likelihood, your own bank will give you a better deal than yamaha. Water craft companies are notorious for offering low payment, low interest deals in the short term that then blow up to a higher rate later. I don’t know what Yamaha is offering now. Their deals are usually confusing.

Thanks, You are correct - I financed my 2018 F150 through Ford Financing (9%) to get the rebates and after I signed the the papers for the truck I walked into my CU to refinance (3%). I hope to do the same with the ski but I'll probably need to put more down at the CU. Diana in my CU may laugh at me...I have too many expensive toy loans with one toy left (snowmobile), then I can retire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information