+1

Spot Trace GPS Locator going crazy

A few years ago, based on some positive threads on Spot Trace, I purchased 2 units to cover my
    seadoos and have found them to do exactly what I want and need....I know exactly where my units are despite
    being 250 miles away from them during the week... I can track them when my kids are on them and rely on GPS vs cellular service.

When I purchased these units the annual subscription for a year's monitoring was $99 per year. Last year the yearly
    subscription jumped to $149 and added a $12.99 per unit per year "admin fee". This year I just got notification the annual fee
    has increased to $199 and the admin fee is now $24.99 per year.

Frankly I'm pi**ed.

This is a ridiculous increase even over the $99 fee let alone the latest. Their email telling us of the
    increase is arrogant to say the least. No explanation or justification beyond "ensuring you the best possible
    and most reliable service" generic babble.

It is important to note that there has been no additional service or performance enhancements
    that would warrant such an increase. Who knows what 2020 prices will be.

So I am seriously looking for an alternative and want to warn those considering using Spot
    for their toys that this company is simply hoping that once you purchase their equipment that
    you are either too reluctant to drop their equipment/lose this purchase or frankly too disinterested
    to take the time to drop them.

If anyone has an alternative and preferably a GPS based system I'd love to hear about it.

In the meantime, considering using Spot is an expensive proposition and very likely to
    get even more expensive every single year.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I also use Spot Trace units.

I have not yet received a renewal notice. I should review my prior renewal to see how much I paid

Note that SPOT uses TWO different satellite systems. GPS satellite signals are received by the unit to figure out where it is located on the planet. Same GPS system used by every other device brand and company.

Uniquely, the SPOT system also uses an entirely separate communications satellite system to periodically report its current location. Each location report message goes up to a communication satellite and then back down to a satellite base station on the ground somewhere. Eventually the location update arrives at the SPOT service computers, from which you can then see the reported location.

The use of a second satellite system is what sets SPOT apart from most of the competitors. Most others use cellular signals to report the device location, which of course does not work if the device is outside the cellular signal area.

I have multiple SPOT Trace units, of which only one has had a hardware failure. SPOT replaced it at no charge, even though it was beyond the warranty time.

While I do find the SPOT Trace service to be somewhat pricey, overall it does work as expected. I get about 6-8 months per set of AAA Lithium batteries, with daily status reports (even if no movement has occurred) and updates while in motion every 10 minutes. Setting the interval to every five minutes roughly halves the battery life.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=129

Which service plan are you signed up for?

The Basic Service is shown as $150 per year, and that includes updates as often as every five minutes.

The Extreme Tracking service adds another $50 per year and allows updates every 2.5 minutes. For PWC tracking this seems unnecessary, and I would expect such rapid update reporting to seriously reduce battery life.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=129

Which service plan are you signed up for?

The Basic Service is shown as $150 per year, and that includes updates as often as every five minutes.

The Extreme Tracking service adds another $50 per year and allows updates every 2.5 minutes. For PWC tracking this seems unnecessary, and I would expect such rapid update reporting to seriously reduce battery life.
    i have the basic which is NOT the $150 anymore as you will soon find out. Besides being in USD.....

i have no issue whatsoever with the product. It works exactly as advertised and I like it.

Im just being held hostage by massive increases. Over 100% in just two years.

5. +1 by:

Thread Information