Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying New Yamaha EX

Hey all, I am looking at a new EX Sport (2018 model) and got a quote this past weekend. Will be the first ski I purchase new! I feel the dealer fees are excessive but maybe they are making up for the discount on the ski itself?

$1,700 tandem aluminum trailer
    $6,000 EX sport

$8,162 with sales tax
    $700 freight
    $740 prep fee
    $400 registration and insurance
    $400 administration fee

$10,402 absolute total

This is with a 3 year warranty. Yamaha promotion right now. Is an administration fee typical? I would have bought right than in cash but was caught off guard by the higher than expected dealer fees.

I hope it was appropriate to ask this question here, if not please let me know!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Where are you located?

Oops, that’s an important detail. South Florida!

+1
    May I ask how you came to choose the EX Sport rather than the EXR or perhaps a VX or VXR model?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lemer4879 View Post
    Hey all, I am looking at a new EX Sport (2018 model) and got a quote this past weekend. Will be the first ski I purchase new! I feel the dealer fees are excessive but maybe they are making up for the discount on the ski itself?

$1,700 tandem aluminum trailer
    $6,000 EX sport

$8,162 with sales tax
    $700 freight
    $740 prep fee
    $400 registration and insurance
    $400 administration fee

$10,402 absolute total

This is with a 3 year warranty. Yamaha promotion right now. Is an administration fee typical? I would have bought right than in cash but was caught off guard by the higher than expected dealer fees.

I hope it was appropriate to ask this question here, if not please let me know!
    Why do you need a tandem trailer?

The prep fee is very high. There should be no admin fee. And why insurance?

I was trying to get a double trailer and one (1) new ski for 10k cash maximum. I have an old SeaDoo as a second ski (2003 GTX 4tec 185HP). I want something reliable affordable and simple to operate.

EDIT: And I am not sure why insurance was on there, that is not a requirement than?

Also to make it more clear k447, since the total was just over 10k with the EX Sport I did not look at other more expensive models. The EX Sport gave me a step, mirrors, and reverse bucket. These were my must haves.
    Last edited by lemer4879; 02-04-2019 at 12:49 PM.

+1
    I will double check, but I think my local dealer is selling these a little below list but then including everything....freight, warranty, paperwork...etc. so around $8,000 plus sales tax plus $1200 for a one up trailer. So your deal may not be that far off but I’ll double check with them today.

+1
    ... since the total was just over 10k with the EX Sport I did not look at other more expensive models. The EX Sport gave me a step, mirrors, and reverse bucket. These were my must haves.
    Is the reverse bucket on the EX Sport actually the Yamaha RiDE System?

If not, I would recommend considering models with RiDE. Yamaha RiDE is far more than just ‘reverse’, and not just a ‘brake’. RiDE provides significantly greater operator control while maneuvering at low speed and around constrained areas.

And it really is quite intuitive. New riders quickly learn how to use the RiDE control, literally within a minute or two.

I learned to ride PWC without any reverse, and for years had manual reverse lever/bucket watercraft. I now have Yamaha with RiDE control, and would not buy another PWC unless it included RiDE.

No it is not the RiDE system. I believe the ex deluxe comes with RiDE and that might be an additional 1k.

+1
    ... the total was just over 10k with the EX Sport I did not look at other more expensive models. The EX Sport gave me a step, mirrors, and reverse bucket. These were my must haves.
    Since you have another PWC already, I presume you have some experience and know the types of water you will be riding and what you want the new PWC to do for you.

Have you ridden the EX and/or the current generation VX hulls? The 2015 onwards VX/VXR series is considered one of the best hulls Yamaha has ever had.

The EX is also a new hull, reports are that it is competent but not in the same league as the VX(R).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information