+1

Engine Missing After Engine Reinstall

I had a ceramic supercharger washer failure on my 2007 RXP. I pulled the engine and replaced both oil pumps which ere damaged but there was no other visible damage. I carefully washed out the engine to remove the washer debris, had the supercharger rebuilt and, just to be safe, replaced the timing chain. A thread about the rebuild is here...http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276375

We have some very warm weather here in TN today (64 F) so I was able to do a water test, for which I have added a temporary oil pressure gauge. I put it in the water and idled around for 10 minutes and things went very well. The next 10 minutes I ran it at 4,000 rpm, again everything was great. After this I made a short full throttle run, just up to max speed and back down, afterwards is developed an engine misfire at partial throttle. It idles perfectly smooth but starts to miss with the application of throttle. I made it back to the dock where I checked the plug wires and all three snapped down in just a touch farther, but that didn't make any difference. I did pull the plugs when I got home and they look great.

Any ideas?

A second thing is that after the 20 minute warm-up, the oil pressure at 5,000 rpm is about 82 psi and the service manual suggests the normal operating range to be 58-72 psi. Idle oil pressure is about 37 psi so that looks normal. The lake temperature is 50 F so it could just be cooler oil resulting in higher pressure. I am measuring from the cylinder head location. Any input on this would be great too!
    Last edited by DealsGapCobra; 02-03-2019 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Edit to improve formatting.

+1
    Here is a photo of the plugs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1128.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	444351

+1
    I had a similar problem just last week and it turned out to be one of the coil sticks.

Plugs were fine, idling a revving out of water was fine. Only happened once I applied throttle in the water.

Not sure if itís the same problem but might be worth a try.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    new plugs suggested first. old plugs can have a difficult to detect glaze that makes the engines run poorly

+1
    new plugs then report back. are you sure its time right with chain replacement and tensioner set correctly?

+1
    Update - I was reading the service manual thinking about the symptoms and just couldn't remember the details or if one of the fault indicators was activated on the dash. I decided that I needed to run it again and pay more attention. Just for giggles I disconnected battery for about 15 minutes and put some more fuel in the tank then headed to the lake. Same drill as last time, idled for 10 minutes with no issues then sped up to 4,000 rpm. It started missing at about 3,500 rpm and then bogged down a bit. I went back to idle then tried it again and the misfire came back but no bogging this time and not indicators on the dash. Back to idle then a shot of the throttle and the hole shot felt pretty strong so I made a short high speed run...it seemed fine but the misfire came back at mid-rpm but not quite as bad. I made two more high speed runs and the misfire went away!? Uh, no clue. I ran it for a total of 30 minutes and it showed no more symptoms but I was too cold to ride longer. On the last top speed run it topped out at an indicated 69 mph and 7950 rpm. Weird.

Thread Information