Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

99 kawasaki 900 stx

I just recently bought a 99 kawasaki 900 stx. the guy i got it from said he rolled it over and got some water in it. I biught a new battery for it, cleaned the pos and neg cables and tried to start it and it just clicks. I tried to jump the starter solenoid to see if the starter was good but when i touch the two posts with a screwdriver it just sparks a lot. im not sure where to go from here. can i test the starter another way without taking it out? is the sparking normal or possibly is something wired wrong? any suggestions would be much appreciated.

+1
    Welcome aboard, peaceofmind!

It could be something simple, like a loose connection, or the jet pump is frozen. Or, it could be that the water got into the engine and destroyed it.

Start by reading this: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=260460

Take the plugs out and with a fully charged battery crank it and see if ingested water comes out of the spark plug holes. He may have burned up the starter also trying to start it with it hydrolocked?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    doubtful the engine will spin over with an admitted roll over, then I guess he parked it.

I'd take a good look at the electrical vault first, those plastic bits that carry the wiring get brittle, break and then that allow water to enter the vault, toasting what is now almost impossible to obtain ignition parts

a dozen 10mm bolts to get the cover off, if you see the wiring entry is broken. you find water in there, the ski should be parted out.

good luck

+1
    Pull the plugs and using a pair of channellock's or vise grips on the driveshaft, try and turn the engine over by hand.

do i need to remove anything from where the drive shaft comes out of the back of the engine to try and turn over the engine?

+1
    There is a black plastic cover over the driveshaft coupling. Remove the two screws that hold it in place (10 mm hex head), then you can try turning the coupling. MUCH easier if you remove the spark plugs first. If you try to crank it with the starter, be sure to ground the spark plug wires to the 3 grounding lugs first.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    be gentle with the coupler, try to turn it by the shaft only. don't jam a screwdriver intot he coupler to turn it it will break

if you are lucky, the starter is jammed and the smallest turn will free the engine

starters often fail on that model because of leaks in the stator cooling setup

i tried to turn the drive shaft with a pair of vice grips and a rag and it would not budge at all. I took off the exhaust and water came out from a few spots. so i ended up pulling the engine out. i dont want to part the ski out. i got it for next to nothing haha. so what would be the better option? replace or rebuild the engine?

+1
    Really can't decide on that until we know just how bad it is. Pull it apart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information