+1

750 SS Fuel Issue

After a couple years of sitting, I slapped a new battery in our 92 750SS expecting it to start like it always does, except it didn't. It runs on starter fluid, so looks like a fuel issue. I pulled the fuel supply line at the carb and cranked it (plugs out), no fuel comes out. I put a little compressed air down the line and fuel came gushing out. Cranking it again with the supply line still disconnected, no fuel comes out. I pulled the return line and gave it a little compressed air and it just built pressure in the line. I'm pretty clueless about these fuel systems, so not sure how best to proceed next. I don't want to fight with those oetiker clamps if I don't need to. I'm guessing the problem isn't with the fuel lines/valves since pressurizing the supply line must have pressurized the gas tank, and that's why fuel came out. So possible fuel pump or carb issue?

Thanks for any tips/advice.

+1
    If it sat for a couple of years, the fuel is old and it may have gummed up inside the tank, inside the fuel filters (there are 3), and plugged up the carb. This is especially likely if the gasoline contained ethanol, and if it wasn't treated with fuel stabilizer. The fuel pump in the carb sucks fuel from the tank. Could be a leaky fuel selector valve, too.

+1
    Thanks, I'll be checking more stuff out.

+1
    If it sat for that long, it needs a carb rebuild. Your also going to have to pull the pick up out of the tank. As Steve said, the filters are prob. plugged, and the vent and return holes are prob. corroded shut and need to be opened back up.
    And quit using starting fluid. Mix up a little batch of premix, or pull the top from the flame arrestor. Starting fluid washes the oil off the cyl walls (if there was any from sitting).

+1
    The gas has had stabilizer in it the whole time it's been sitting, so hopefully that helped. As for starting fluid, I squirted oil in the cylinders first, plus I only needed to make it run once to confirm I didn't have an ignition issue. Since I was doing a lot of cranking trying to get gas flowing, I made sure it stayed oiled up.

I had one question about the return line. Should compressed air into the return line make it into the gas tank? Because it didn't, it just pressurized the gas line and came back out. Pressure into the carb feed line did blow bubbles into the gas tank.

+1
    Air pressure applied to either hose should blow into the tank. Never apply pressure to the carb or fuel pump. Remove the fuel cap from the tank, and be very careful with compressed air (I really don't recommend it). It's easy to damage stuff.

+1
    And also remember that if the check valve on the tank vent is working correctly, it will pressurize the tank. It's designed to let air in, not out. And that big plastic bowl hanging over the stator cover is to catch water in the tank vent system in case of a roll over, not a fuel filter.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    26 year old carbs that were let sitting for a year or more are done.

just pull emn out and have them rebuilt, then you can go from there. Not that tough on a kaw 750

dump the fuel, trying to use old gas never turns out well, ever.

if disposal is an issue ( and legal disposal often is) you can put a half gallon in your car at ever fill up till its gone.

Thread Information