2000 Polaris Genesis only starts with Bilge pump button pushed

I have a 2000 Polaris genesis with the 1200 carb engine that will start up no problem but only with the bilge pump button pushed down and will only stay running with such. All ready replaced the lr-505 module and still does the same. also will crank over without the lanyard. Is that normal for Polaris?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

Are you sure the replacement LR-505 module is good?
    Is it actually working?

Put a voltmeter on the battery and start the engine. Does the battery voltage rise to around 13.5 volts with engine running? If not, LR voltage regulator is not working.

If no battery charge (voltage stays below 13 volts with engine running) then check for battery voltage on yellow wire at LR-505 module when the engine is OFF. Should be full battery voltage on Yellow when engine is not running.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome.

Are you sure the replacement LR-505 module is good?
    Is it actually working?

Put a voltmeter on the battery and start the engine. Does the battery voltage rise to around 13.5 volts with engine running? If not, LR voltage regulator is not working.

If no battery charge (voltage stays below 13 volts with engine running) then check for battery voltage on yellow wire at LR-505 module when the engine is OFF. Should be full battery voltage on Yellow when engine is not running.
    Yes it is a brand new LR - module. battery is dead I'm going to get a new one and try again. is it normal for it to crank without the lanyard in. After replacing the LR I tried to crank it and it would crank over, not start, without the lanyard in so i assumed the LR- Module was no the problem as it was doing it before as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvettemina View Post
    ... is it normal for it to crank without the lanyard in? ...
    Yes, IIRC.
    Genesis and Virage will crank the engine without lanyard in place.

I have now installed a new LR module (then with the old battery tried to start it and it would turn over just had a bad battery) purchased a new battery and nothing is displaying on the display and it will not turn over. as if the battery is dead. is there in an inline fuse anywhere that i might have blown? or anything that could be preventing it from getting power. thanks in advanced.

+1
    Make sure you have not reversed polarity of the battery cables at the battery.

Also check whether the pop-up circuit breaker (aka Reset Button) has popped up.

It was the reset button thanks for all your help. I'll put the battery in and try to start her and let you know what happens thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.

I put the new battery in and the computer will turn on then turn off shortly after if I'm lucky I can get maybe 2 or 3 turns out of it. The resest button will then pop back out this is a new problem never happens before or after the lr module replacement.

+1
    The circuit breaker (reset button) popping is not a good sign, you may have a short or a damaged component that is drawing too much current. Do you have a copy of the service manual ?

Yes I do have a service manual.

Opened up the electrical box to find it a little smokey and something was definitely burned. found out it was the LR module i had just replaced (it was a cheap ebay one, never making that mistake again) . put the old one in and it didnt smoke up or anything and i was able to run it by pushing the bilge pump button (which was the original reason for replacing it in the beginning) i will be ordering a new, more expensive one soon. Thankfully nothing else was damaged.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lrburnded.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	444669  

Thread Information