Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove supercharger for good?

Hey all - Iíve searched but couldnít find anything answering a question I have which is .. If my supercharger clutch goes bad can I remove it and run without it ? I have a 09 fx sho cruiser and really didnít buy it for speed so the supercharger is not needed.

Thanks !

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrkheiser View Post
    Hey all - Iíve searched but couldnít find anything answering a question I have which is .. If my supercharger clutch goes bad can I remove it and run without it ? I have a 09 fx sho cruiser and really didnít buy it for speed so the supercharger is not needed.

Thanks !
    Your air fuel ratio will be so very rich that the ski will run very poorly if it runs at all....
    No power.
    It's tuned to run with the supercharger pushing mass quantities of air through the engine to match how the engine.

+1
    The engine computer adjusts fuel based on many things but more especially BOOST pressure. If you have no boost as like when you loose a clutch, the ski runs ok, you just don't have the top end power or rpm. Look at how many have lost a clutch and the ski runs ok, just will not get higher speeds or rpm. Problem is the SHO engine has lower compression than the naturally aspirated 1800's so you would be down on power lower than the standard FX, plus you still would have to go inside the front of the engine to remove the clutch which is chewed up and spitting metal out into the oil. You are already there so why not replace the clutch?

+1
    You will need to block off the oil feed to the shaft of the gear that drives the supercharger because youíre going to be removing it. I just tap the banjo bolt and thread a bolt into it. Then cut it off flush . Then just buy the vxr supercharger block off plate and gasket . The ski will be a turd but pretty reliable

+1
    Agreed. . . deleting the boost does not turn a SC motor into the same HP as an NA motor. Not even in the ball-park. Without boost the motor wonít get much past 5.5K RPMs - and that's way way less performance that an NA motor.

+1
    If you ride it gently the clutch will last if it does go it’s cheaper to replace the clutch $400 parts plus labour you can do following guides and YouTube videos than try to remove the SC, or sell it and buy a different ski with different issues

change the oil every year or 100 hours and use yamalube oil and filters

Excellent information - and the question has been answered- When my clutch goes I will replace !

Thanks again

+1
    150 HP Max....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
    change the oil every year or 100 hours and use yamalube oil and filters
    100 hours is twice what the SHO manual recommends; once per season or 50 hours, whichever comes first. I personally change mine more frequently than that. Yamalube to protect the clutch.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf714 View Post
    100 hours is twice what the SHO manual recommends; once per season or 50 hours, whichever comes first. I personally change mine more frequently than that. Yamalube to protect the clutch.
    Could be right it’s 50 for oil and and filter 100 for plugs? I do both each year, though I might go over 50 this year but season ended early and got stuck on 40odd....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information