Exhaust gasket leaking water at high rpm/boost

2012 Ultra 300X. At 200 hour maintenance, I unbolted the exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe joint to inspect the internals while I changed the exhaust filter. Bought new gasket. Reinstalled with proper torque values.

At high rpm/boost (6,000+ rpm, 10+ psi), I get a slight water leak at this joint. Have rebuilt 5 times. Even used high temp rtv gasket sealer with no success.

Hoping some others may have experienced this and can offer some advice. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181201_185237.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	444048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181201_185044.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	444049  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tx View Post
    2012 Ultra 300X. At 200 hour maintenance, I unbolted the exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe joint to inspect the internals while I changed the exhaust filter. Bought new gasket. Reinstalled with proper torque values.

At high rpm/boost (6,000+ rpm, 10+ psi), I get a slight water leak at this joint. Have rebuilt 5 times. Even used high temp rtv gasket sealer with no success.

Hoping some others may have experienced this and can offer some advice. Thanks!
    Have the manifold gasket surface machined just enough to clean it up. Reinstall with new OEM gasket with a couple of coats of Permatex copper spray on your gsskets....

Worked for me....I had the same problem on a 14 310R

3. +1 by:

+1
    Hi Mark,

How did you figure out you have a water leak? Just curious as I've been trouble shooting a bunch of issues with my 300x.

Would the leak cause a loss of compression the in exhaust thus loss of power?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Rode with seat off. Used a strong flashlight to inspect. Was very easy to see this this joint.

This leak is water from the jacketed manifold leaking into engine bay. Water pressure increases with rpm. This joint is not keeping the high pressure water from leaking out. It is a very small leak...15 drips per minute. Just want to fix right for the next 200 hours!

No, this issue is not causing any performance loss. Ran a strong 72mph. Same exact speed last year after I installed SCOM and new Solas impeller.
    Last edited by Mark Tx; 01-30-2019 at 08:05 AM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    use some copper exhaust gasket spray . coat the gaskets heavily on both sides, same on the manifolds, assemble and let sit for 24 hours.

The manifold is likely warped. a machine shop can true them up for a couple of bucks, but that copper spray is pretty good at dealing with this.

key is to let it set up before running the motor.

+1
    Use a composite gasket, they are much thicker and take up any of the imperfections in the 2 surfaces. I fucked around with that leak for ages and used exhaust sealant and copper spray still ended up leaking at constant wot, used the composite ones didn't use any sealant and has never leaked since, I got them in Oz don't know who sells them in the US

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    When the 2 surfaces have been filed flat via file or machining , all u need is a very thin film of 3 bond on OEM steel gaskets amd tensionef at the correct temsion and you wont get leaks... biggest problem i find is unskilled monkeys over tighten the bolts and then that distorts the surface.....
    NEVER use those composit shit gaskets .... they breakdown and end up causing same or worse issues.... they cause so many warranty issues for Kawi in OZ.... also alway ensure the single bolt hole is flat and clean surface, as it will effect clamping angle....
    You obviously dont have 2 flat surfaces anymore for this problem to keep repeating it self

9. +1 by:

+1
    Corey, Mal and a heap of our mates been using these gaskets for years never had any issues Waz, if they leak every hundred hours who cares just replace them

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Mals old ski that he traded at jamies just after the rebuild had leaky gaskets like a mother fu.ker.... I've never had a set of them last any length of tiime in qld conditions..... maybe mexico is different.... the teasin us after a shirt tine the material compresses and looses tension ,, then they start to leak, atleast the steel ones once compressed hold tension

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    Mals old ski that he traded at jamies just after the rebuild had leaky gaskets like a mother fu.ker.... I've never had a set of them last any length of tiime in qld conditions..... maybe mexico is different.... the teasin us after a shirt tine the material compresses and looses tension ,, then they start to leak, atleast the steel ones once compressed hold tension

Haa I don't think that one had those gaskets in it Waz, that was the great job the dealers down here do on rebuilds, when he should have done it himself!!
    Cool, agree, but if they made the metal ones just a little thicker, as the stock exhaust surfaces are so shit, they wouldn't have so many leaks with skis with 20 hours on them

Thread Information