Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Carbon Fiber Impellers

Does anybody make a carbon fiber impeller?
    Would have to perform better, lighter, stronger.

+1
    I don't think they would be durable enough, any kind of a rock injection and it would shatter.

+1
    If that is true... then why would they make carbon fiber helicopter blades for Apache Helicopter. Those blades get hit by sand and stones at times when lifting off from the deserts and they don`t shatter.

+1
    Interesting concept... I imagine they could handle a rock strike, at worst it may snap a blade off. Its just epoxy impregnated fiber, so it won't shatter. One drawback would be the pitch is fixed. There would be no adjusting pitch without molding a new impeller with a different pitch. I would think the blades would need to be slightly thicker to be solid enough for the extreme forces it would be up against and I'm not sure how that would alter the pump efficiency. Would love to see someone try it.

+1
    Helicopter blades spend almost all their time moving air, not water. High flow water, pressure, and cavitation would take a toll on a carbon fiber impeller. It has been tried on boat props with no reasonable success.

It also would be hard to get a CB blade to be thinner than the Stainless used now, they are pretty darn thin.

Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    If that is true... then why would they make carbon fiber helicopter blades for Apache Helicopter. Those blades get hit by sand and stones at times when lifting off from the deserts and they don`t shatter.

+1
    They were introduced years ago, but never caught on with big name manufacturers because they weren't practical and hella expensive to develop. You can check out impros.com for more info

Lake Lion
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahasrule View Post
    Interesting concept... I imagine they could handle a rock strike, at worst it may snap a blade off. Its just epoxy impregnated fiber, so it won't shatter. One drawback would be the pitch is fixed. There would be no adjusting pitch without molding a new impeller with a different pitch. I would think the blades would need to be slightly thicker to be solid enough for the extreme forces it would be up against and I'm not sure how that would alter the pump efficiency. Would love to see someone try it.
    Heli blades spin less than 1000 RPM. Idle on the skis are almost TRIPLE the max RPM of a helicopter. Besides, like he said, way too expensive.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbutta View Post
    Heli blades spin less than 1000 RPM. Idle on the skis are almost TRIPLE the max RPM of a helicopter. Besides, like he said, way too expensive.
    If your ski idles at 3000 rpm you have a serious problem.

+1
    Less than 1000 shaft rpm but what about the tip speed on a helicopter blade?

Quote Originally Posted by hotbutta View Post

Lake Lion
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    Less than 1000 shaft rpm but what about the tip speed on a helicopter blade?
    Tip speed is fast. Around 500mph but still 600rpm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information