*another* electrical question - Virage 1200 TX

Ok.. 2000 Virage TX 1200.. The ski was parked with the drain plug in and a torrential downpour got about 6" inside the bike, getting the bottom couple inches of the electronics box wet.. It sat like that for about 3 weeks.... (I know, dumb-axe) The connections on the board and the wire terminals inside the electronics box corroded, so I re-connected the wires according to info found here.. prior to this - the entire electronics box with the exception of the plastic case and board itself was new - CDI, coils, etc.

I hooked everything back up (butt connectors), and started the bike - Runs properly, but the MFD does not display unless I hit the bilge button. I do not think the bilge is running while the bike is running, only when I press the button. I think it is something simple, but when I looked again at the wiring schematic (from this site) - it looks correct.. Maybe one of the wires is corroded? Thoughts? I am just thankful that the bike runs and nothing else was fried!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The electrical box is supposed to have a rubber rim seal and should be 100% water tight when closed up.

If the Terminal board is corroded that can cause weird electrical problems. For some Terminal board circuits the electricity goes through the rivets to travel between the clamped metal pieces. If those rivets are corroded that can cause issues. Other rivets are just holding the metal Terminal strips in place, not used for conducting.

For the described symptoms, focus on the LR module and the wires that connect it to everything else. The LR module Orange wire output is responsible for powering the bilge pump and the CDI ignition. The Bilge button on handlebar overrides the LR module and forces full battery voltage onto the Orange wire section.

+1
    The Guage should be powered by the red/pur after leaving a 1/4 amp fuse.
    There will be a smaller size 3 amp fuse for the bilge on an orange terminal.Bilge wire will be org/blk.

The CDI has a red/pur wire ( 12v hot at all times) because of a Polaris change, it goes to an orange wire/terminal ( switched 12v power) That turns the CDI on and off.

took it all back apart and tested components.. I must have a wire crossed or terminated in an incorrect position.. Problem is that the board itself is corroded, so I have the wires connected together - the board proper is useless.. When I put it all back together - same deal - Bike runs, but MFD and bilge only run when the bilge button is pressed.. Is there a source for simply the board? The CDI and LR check out.. If not - I would pay to mail it off to a reputable mechanic.. Can't find any locally... Next step is to sell "in running condition, needs love"..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    The Guage should be powered by the red/pur after leaving a 1/4 amp fuse.
    There will be a smaller size 3 amp fuse for the bilge on an orange terminal.Bilge wire will be org/blk.

The CDI has a red/pur wire ( 12v hot at all times) because of a Polaris change, it goes to an orange wire/terminal ( switched 12v power) That turns the CDI on and off.
    ?

Thread Information